• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

How do I retrospectively decrypt a whole folder of files? These are currently on a NAS drive connected to our Humax HDR-FOX T2.

to max a humax

We want to retrospectively decrypt a folder of files. These files have not yet been decrypted, as they were recorded off the TV back when we knew even less ,-) re what we were doing with a Humax than we do now - LOL! ,-)

So we now need to decrypt all these files, after the files have already been recorded on our Humax HDR-FOX T2 & stored in their undecrypted format.

We have already moved them onto a NAS drive, that is connected to our Humax HDR-FOX T2. Of course, should it be advised to get this retrospective decryption to work on these files, then we can move them back onto the Humax.

The 192... location (pardon any incorrect terminology!) of the folder where the undecrypted files are located, is now on the NAS drive at the Webif placement of:
media/My Video/[Shares] Do not delete!/NAS.

We see that there is an "Opt+" web button next to that "NAS" folder.

My question is, in order to get a decryption working on the folders contents:
If I right-click on the "Opt+" web button next to that "NAS" folder, then should I select one of the following options:
(i) Enable Auto-decrypt
(ii) Recursive Auto-decrypt
?
And if so then which of the 2 options should I go for? And do I need to change any other settings to get the files decrypted?
Or what is the correct process?

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
(i) Enable Auto-decrypt
(ii) Recursive Auto-decrypt
Enabling auto-decrypt on a folder means that any encrypted .ts files in that folder (now or in the future) will be added to a processing queue for decryption. Recursive means that the same will apply to any folders in that folder (instead of only that folder and no sub-folders). Thus, enabling recursive auto-decrypt on My Video sets it up to decrypt everything.

media/My Video/[Shares] Do not delete!/NAS.
Oo-er!

Folders prefixed "[" are automatically excluded from blanket auto-processing, so a recursive flag set on My Video will be ignoring the shares folder (good - see below) and you have to explicitly flag it (don't!!!).

There is a possible issue here: by making a virtual USB mount appear in the My Video folder tree, lots of processes have no idea the files are not on the internal HDD. This is likely to screw up the free space calculations, and the DLNA indexer will be trying to access your NAS every time it runs. I do not recommend it, and I have my [ModSettings] with shareFolder=off so that external shares are accessed through Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB. Slightly less convenient, but any problems are avoided.

In particular, I have no idea whether WebIF auto-decryption is going to work properly on a remote share, but even if it does there will be a lot of network activity while it is happening and the HDRFOX is not good at handling a lot of network activity - the slightest little thing that goes wrong is liable to crash it.

Or what is the correct process?
My recommendation is to move the undecrypted recordings back to the HDD, and decrypt them there. Alternatively, decrypt them in place using off-line decryption (ie with a computer rather than the 'Fox): https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/windows-version-of-offline-decryption-hfodu.8770/

On the other hand, do you really need to decrypt them at all? We used to strongly recommend decryption, because we had no way to decrypt files and make them useable if the original recorder was no longer available (eg dead). Now however, so long as you have a record of the original unit's serial number and MAC, decryption is available on demand regardless of the original recorder. So you could leave these recordings as they are, and only decrypt as circumstances demand.

Decryption Guide (click)

Last edited:

MymsMan

Ad detector
An alternative to using the (recursive) Auto decrypt flags is to view the folder in the Webif, Select All, choose Decryption in the list next to Queue For and then press Queue For button.
This will do a one-off Decryption of the selected recordings without the Humax scanning the NAS drive folder every few minutes looking for new recordings to decrypt