How many external USB drives can we use with an HDR-FOX T2? And what type of multi-port USB hub?

The OP must already have NTFS-3G installed, otherwise nothing would be mounted as 'usb-drive'.
The issue may well be down to the 7-port USB hub. I found the thread I was thinking of here. If daisy-chaining is the issue, it is probably the case that some ports on the USB hub will work fine, and some will not.
As has been mentioned above, with the custom firmware it is possible to upgrade the internal disk to a 4TB model. This is straightforward, but I appreciate that not everyone is comfortable with doing it.
I can't find the thread now, but I think that while USB drives of greater than 2TB capacity are supported by the custom firmware, there is a problem with them being mounted with NTFS-3G. IIRC it was xyz321 who reported this.

The first post in the thread clearly says HDR-FOX T2 so I was also surprised to see Trev's reference to HD T2.
Then that's a double :oops::oops:m Must have been late or something. Who knows where I got that idea from, but I thought OP said HD and it was in the HD section. :oops:

A seven port USB hub may actually be two daisy-chained hubs internally, so this could be the problem.
The manual does state that it is a maximum of 4, which if correct would mean that a 7 port hub would never fully work regardless of how it was manufactured.

I can't find the thread now, but I think that while USB drives of greater than 2TB capacity are supported by the custom firmware, there is a problem with them being mounted with NTFS-3G. IIRC it was xyz321 who reported this.
I do hae a version of ntfs-3g which I think will work with large drives but unfortunately I do not have a suitably formatted drive to test it on at the moment.

I do hae a version of ntfs-3g which I think will work with large drives but unfortunately I do not have a suitably formatted drive to test it on at the moment.
Could you add it to the beta repository (or get af123 to do it)? Someone with a large USB drive may be willing to test it. I don't have a USB drive larger than 2TB, but would such a drive be suitable for testing if formatted as NTFS with GPT?

[ In advance: here is a warning! : LONG POST HERE! ;)
As I thought it best to explain our level of knowledge (ignorance?! LOL! :X3:) here, & the key facts re us & our issue - so they're at hand to all. No point hiding ignorance as that way people learn nothing! :rolleyes: ]

Thanks for your help to Trev & all. We have had not had a chance tp look into this much since last posted: it's been a busy June/July doing outdoors jobs - in between the rain clouds! ;)

Re your various queries:

A HD T2 not an HDR T2. That explains some of my queries. Didn't notice that.
Answer: I have just checked & yes it is a Humax HDR-FOX T2. The model no. is conveniently printed on the front of the Humax! So no need to scrabble around trying to look at the back of the box/TV, inadvertently disconnectin leads etc! :)

Q1. What size internal drive do you have already?
Answer: The internal drive is whatever the size that the Humax manufacturer supply with this HDR-FOX T2; i.e. I presume there's a standard size suppliued with the unit. We haven't made any changes to any internal parts of the Humax, as per our earlier post:
Re "fit a larger HDD into the Hummy": with our current minimal techy-knowhow - such a DIY job is way out of our Hummy skills!

OP doesn't appear to be familiar with the Custom Firmware
Answer: No, we're not! So we're going to look into the various URLs that Black Hole supplied. That should take some time looking into. Maybe some lengthy reading/research time is required, inside the house, aided by this rainy July weather I hope! ,)

Surely it would be 'better' and less confusing with just one big USB HDD
Answer: We don't want multiple external drives; the reason we have so many is just to have lots of external storage space external to the Humax itself. Further to our earlier post:
we looked into this a year or so ago & thought (?!) that we had read that a large external USB drive couldn't be supported by the Humax we own. Maybe we were wrong with that research?
I have double-checked this data we had read, & confirmed that we had notated that we had read (though hadn't notated where we had read this - oops!) that a > 2TB external USB drive couldn't be supported by the HDR-FOX T2, i.e. an external drive was limited to a maximum size of 2TB.
We therefore opted instead to use several 2TB external drives, connected by a USB hub. That way, we can store up to 5 x 2TB = 10TB of stored data/films/programmes. This we hoped would be a solution to a 2TB limitation! Sadly, it appears not! :(
Obviously, if we can in fact use just 1 very large external drive (a drive giving us e.g. > 8TB or > 10TB storage space), that would be a far better option! :)
So, is that an option??

[Bit of history as to why we own & how we use a Humax:]
We bought the Humax as we wanted to both:
(i) record lots more TV progs & films (more than we could with our BT Vision+ box)
(ii) then have the option to save them externally, for future viewing
Our BT Vision+ box - which was the only DVR that we owned pre buying the Humax - didn't offer (a) much internal space (b) any save-externally option as it just offered a record-to-internal-drive option.
(BTW, we still own that BT Vision+ unit, but will probably be getting rid of it soon: we used to use it - after we bought the Humax - as a backup recorder e.g. at Christmas time's busy TV schedule, but haven't used it for months. So it's using up space under the TV.)
So we want to use the Humax to its maximum potential.
We have all 5 external drives left plugged in to the Humax so that we can either free space from the Humax by moving data/videos onto an external drive, or watch a video directly from one of those external drives.
In other words, any external drive is used to form an accessible library of videos! It also acts as a back-up location for any files we really don't want to lose.

Surely it would be 'better' and less confusing [...] or fit a larger HDD into the Hummy?
Answer: If we are correct in our previous research that a > 2TB external USB drive can't be supported by the HDR-FOX T2, then maybe this is the only next option.
I have now read more posts in this thread - & at Multiple USB Discs on the humax at the same time - thanks for that MontysEvilTwin - re 7-port USB hubs, saying they're a non-option!! So sadly it appears there is a limit to the number of external drives e.g. to a total of 4 x 2TB.

So still need to know if 1 very large external drive (a drive giving us e.g. > 8TB or > 10TB storage space) is an option.

Re increasing the capacity/storage limit of our Humax unit:
In any case, any such change to the internal drive would surely only be a partial solution to our problem, as it would only increase the internal space, not the space on an external drive which is what we really want. Unless, of course,increasing the internal space makes it possible to increase the external space too . . . ?!

The only thing is: if we can , we'll do so as long as there is a shop or some tech-bod out there with someone who can do this for us. This kind of techie-stuff is the sort of thing we always pay someone else to do, in either money or beer! ,)

I do gather that :
there is plenty of expertise here to help if you are up to using a screwdriver and a bit of common sense
but I'd hate to RELY on what we had done, & mess it up. I'd always think if the Humax blew up it would be our fault! :eek: I's rather rely on someone whose expertise is this area of gadgets. Maybe in 6 months or so we'll feel we have sufficient technical know-how & are brave enough to try it ourselves, but not yet!

YIKES!!!! THERE'S SO MUCH TO LEARN!!!! :confused:

Last edited:
The internal drive is whatever the size that the Humax manufacturer supply with this HDR-FOX T2
So that's 500GB or 1TB. It's easy to find out: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Storage = "Internal HDD".

Your comments pose at least as many questions as answers. If I am correct in presuming you copy recordings directly to the external drives for archiving, are you using the external drives as they come (FAT32), or have you used the Humax menus to format them first (Ext3)? Without using custom firmware, there are no other possibilities. However, if the former, each file is limited to 4GB - which isn't really enough for (say) a movie in HiDef. Your first port of call for reading up should be Things Every... (click) section 12.

Regarding your general need / habit, I'll say what I always say: keeping masses of recordings is like keeping too much clutter in the loft. Sooner or later you will run out of space, however big the space is. The more there is, the more difficult it is to find what you want, and the task of decluttering becomes so time consuming you either just jettison the lot or move into a bigger space (and make it worse for next time).

There is only so much time for telly watching (and I mean purposeful watching, not just the telly on in the corner while you do something else) in any particular day/week/month (however you organise your time). If the average amount you record exceeds the amount you watch, there will be stuff you record that you are never going to get around to watching. So if you haven't got a plan for when you're going to watch it, don't record it in the first place.

That library of films and complete series for a rainy day: Really?

Then there's stuff that gets kept for sentimental reasons. How many times can you watch it before it sits there occupying disk space never to be watched again?

I'm not saying you have to be ruthless, just more selective. Never watching live TV is a good way of managing time - you can watch something of specific interest at the time that fits your diary instead of whatever dross happens to be on - but record it, have a plan for when you are going to watch it, watch it and get rid of it. If that last series of Downton (or whatever) is still waiting to be watched six months later, I suspect it never will be (I speak from experience!).

We have all 5 external drives left plugged in to the Humax so that we can either free space from the Humax by moving data/videos onto an external drive, or watch a video directly from one of those external drives.
In other words, any external drive is used to form an accessible library of videos! It also acts as a back-up location for any files we really don't want to lose.
So are you recording SD or HD and how are you copying/moving the files to external storage?
The SD recordings may be decrypted on copy, depending on method, but HD ones will certainly remain encrypted. This is not a problem unless the HDR dies, at which point you will lose (permanently) all the encrypted recordings.
You need the Customised Firmware to allow automatic decryption of HD.

If that last series of Downton (or whatever) is still waiting to be watched six months later, I suspect it never will be (I speak from experience!).
Only because you often repeat this de-clutter observation - I will repeat a point I made somewhere on this forum. When Montalbano was first shown on BBC4, I recorded the two episodes and left them festering for over six months before watching them. Best use of a rainy day and I became hooked. Some people might regard your 8 Humax boxes as a bit excessive. You can't be using them all. De-clutter man. :D (tongue-in-cheek comment!)

Learn from my experience and don't repeat my mistakes! (The multiple units support multiple TVs, but there's a few USB drives knocking about too :( )

That, of course, begs more questions about multiple TVs. Good job a separate TV licence isn't required for each device. You'd be funding your BBC local radio entirely from your own pocket (using calculations supplied by the Rt Hon Member for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, of course ;)).

Well, that might be approximately correct, but going by recent performance, it will increase the ND by a goodly bit more.

As we still need an answer to our question :) :
Can an external USB drive that is > 2TB be supported by our HDR-FOX T2?
i.e. is an external drive limited to a maximum size of 2TB (as we had previously read), or is that not true?

Here is tech info about the Humax & the external drives we own:

1. INTERNAL SIZE OF HUMAX (HDR-FOX T2):
The internal drive is the size that the Humax manufacturer supplied with this HDR-FOX T2 = 1TB

2. FORMAT OF (all 5!) EXTERNAL USB DRIVES (4 x Seagate Expansion 2TB; 1 x Toshiba 2TB):
The default format of the external USB drives are NTFS format (i.e. not! FAT32).
We only have a PC with an OS of Windows 10 so cannot, as far as I can tell, read or format EXT3 file formats.
Yes, the NTFS-3G package is installed on the Humax.

3. CUSTOM FIRMWARE:
We are running the Custom Firmware, the latest version.

4. RECORDING QUALITY:
We always record as SD (not! as HD, as it takes up too much space).

5. METHOD OF MOVING &/OR COPYING FILES (from Humax onto an external drive):
Re:
how are you copying/moving the files to external storage?
There are only 2 methods/options that we see - that are supplied with the Humax as standard - for moving &/or copying files from Humax onto an external (USB) drive. And we opt for 1 of these 2 options: we always move files via the method of the Web interface on our computer (& not via the Remote >> OPT+ method along with the on-screen menu on the TV, as that seems to have limited options re moving & is better for just copying files).
No, we have never dared to try to move files the 3rd way that we thought might work, i.e. moving files via Windows Explorer on our PC. We reckoned that removing the USB drives from the multi-hub & plugging those drives into our PC, etc., risks too many possible errors, until we know what we're doing! ROFL!​

So: is it possible to attach a large (e.g. 10TB) external USB drive to the Humax? And if so then what file format would be required on that drive?

Is it a requirement to use EXT3 format on that USB drive, or is the NTFS format that the drives are supplied with OK to use?

If EXT3 is required, then as the USB drive/s we use isn't/aren't already EXT3 format, then how should we reformat a USB drive into that EXT3 format?

By using our PC's Windows 10?

Or! - as stated in an older thread (https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/exte...use-with-a-humax-hdr-fox-t2-can-you-help.396/) - "Format it (using the Humax tools) to Ext3": should we format the drive/s "using the Humax tools"?! (Or is that 2011 thread out-of-date re the Humax of the moment?!)

Last edited:
Please consider using a large NAS drive instead. What you are doing/plan to do is stretching things too much, and clearly my suggestion you rationalise has fallen on deaf ears.

Please consider using a large NAS drive instead.
That would seem to be the best way forward but possibly the most expensive way forward. Run the NAS in one of the RAID configurations for automatic backup as well.
That's the way I would probably go, but I am of the opinion that it's only TV and is it really worth archiving.
The 'watch later' reason never seems to work for most folk as you tend to record a lot more than you actually have time to watch. But I think BH has been over that particular philosophy before.

Back