How to check if fan is working

Steppy

I have an old HDR-FOX T2 which I use in the bedroom, but I have noticed that I have not heard the fan spin up in a long time, even in all this heat.

The bottom of the unit feels very warm, so is there a way I can check to see if it is still working? I have another spare that I took out of the cupboard today and that has been on for over three hours and I haven't heard that fan either. Surely they can't both have packed up can they? I seem to remember they used to run for a few minutes after reboot, but I may have imagined that.

I have the custom firmware on the unit in the bedroom and have installed fan control, but even at 100%, the fan does not spin. I have taken the case off and it spins freely and it all looks to be connected ok.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
What do the SMART stats. say about the disk temperature?
Run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and reboot to make sure the fan package is actually installed correctly and working.

Well I think doing a reboot and got the fan control package working. I have set it to 50% as I thought that was a good one to set it at after referring to the Humax figures below.

• 70% - once the HDD temperature reaches 55°C;
  • 65% - when the temperature drops to 54°C;
  • 55% - when the temperature drops to 51°C;
  • 0% - when the temperature drops to 49°C;

I ran the fix-flash-packages and I installed tempmon and at the moment it is show 40oC and the case feels warm to the touch. Last night is was bordering on hot to the touch, dread to think how how it was then! It will be interesting to see how it is tonight with the fan running at 50%

As the fan is now working the fan control am I right to think that a temperature sensor has packed up?

Thanks for your help.

As the fan is now working the fan control am I right to think that a temperature sensor has packed up?
No, At some time in the past your Humax crashed and as a result the flash storage resident packages (including fan) were disabled as a precaution
fix-flash-packages renables those packages.

The disabling is not needed and can be turned off, don't have time to look up method at moment

No, At some time in the past your Humax crashed and as a result the flash storage resident packages (including fan) were disabled as a precaution
fix-flash-packages renables those packages.

The disabling is not needed and can be turned off, don't have time to look up method at moment

I only installed the fan control package today to see if that would get the fan running which it did and was before I ran fix-flash packages, so I think if I disabled it, I would be back to no fan again.

Think with all the heat I will leave it at 50% for now and see how things go.

Sysmon is another useful package for monitoring temperature But when it says Fan Running it is based on standard Humax behaviour not on detecting the actual fan status

...dread to think how how it was then...
Look at the SMART data then!
...am I right to think that a temperature sensor has packed up?
No, the temperature sensor is the hard disk, in the SMART stats.
I only installed the fan control package today to see if that would get the fan running
You need to reboot after installing it to make it work.
which it did and was before I ran fix-flash packages, so I think if I disabled it
fix-flash-packages only reinstalls things, so there is no point, if you've just installed something, in reinstalling it.
I would be back to no fan again.
No, you would be back to the Humax software defaults, which are just about adequate.

Back