How to copy MP3 files *to* the FVP-5000T?

ando2040

I would like to use the system as a hub for my home media files. Sonos and other playback devices.

I can copy MP3 files to the "Download" folder via FTP or SAMBA, but not to the "Music" folder (permission denied).

I set a password for the admin account, because I couldn't connect as anonymous FTP...

Has anyone done this please?

Last edited:
Strong advice. I had a NAS but it broke and the humax *looks* like a DLNA media server so I thought I'd have a go. After posting above I managed to copy some MP3 files to the music folder using USB, and they play on the humax, but Sonos can't see/catalogue them. Are you saying others have tried and failed?

Are you saying others have tried and failed?
I don't know the FVP-5000T, but I do know the HDR-FOX and to what extent Humax have restricted the access capabilities (off the shelf). It takes custom firmware to break those restrictions - a facility not available in 5000T-land. IMHO you will just keep hitting snags.

It is a DLNA media server. Stupid question; have you turned the server on in the Humax settings?
Stupid questions appreciated!

Advanced settings... Server management... Network server is on.

Advanced settings... File share... Samba server and FTP server are also on. Password is set though I tried without as well.

DLNA seems to be the problem as both Sonos and PS3 are struggling. Sonos gives no error but PS3 says "the folder could not be accessed. This content may have been deleted from the media server" so I believe this is an access permissions issue, consistent with what I'm seeing when I try to *upload* over FTP or Samba.

I can *play* ie read, MP3s from Mac/PC over samba once they are in any folder, copied there by USB or FTP/samba to the download folder only. But I have no evidence that any DLNA client is working.

Stupid questions appreciated!

Advanced settings... Server management... Network server is on.

Advanced settings... File share... Samba server and FTP server are also on. Password is set though I tried without as well.

DLNA seems to be the problem as both Sonos and PS3 are struggling. Sonos gives no error but PS3 says "the folder could not be accessed. This content may have been deleted from the media server" so I believe this is an access permissions issue, consistent with what I'm seeing when I try to *upload* over FTP or Samba.

I can *play* ie read, MP3s from Mac/PC over samba once they are in any folder, copied there by USB or FTP/samba to the download folder only. But I have no evidence that any DLNA client is working.

UPDATE:
I've now turned off Humax DLNA as Sonos seems to be a Samba client. Sonos has its own DLNA server so the PS3 can use that if I get the Samba connection to Sonos working...

Some more googling suggests the issue I care about might be a Sonos one, namely that Sonos only uses SMBv1. I'm not allowed to post links yet so Google it!

If Humax Samba (I don't know how to confirm this) only supports SMBv2 or higher (basic security practices would defend Humax as SMBv1 is long obsolete and Sonos are at fault for using it) then that explains my Sonos issue.

Does not answer my PS3 DLNA issue or the upload to music folder issues but I can work around those. I'll try the plex streaming workaround for sonos and post again my results.

Unsurprisingly, there isn't a Plex server for Humax, though there is for a wide variety of NAS. It requires the server to be always on, which is why I wanted to use the humax, a bit of efficiency because that is always on anyway. Plus it streams out over the Internet and back to Sonos which is silly as they are on the same network.

I don't want to leave a computer always on. So I'm stuck with only streaming services for the Sonos and ignoring my music library which has lots of tracks not available on streaming...

The Sonos solution is a windows or mac pc also always on and running Sonos software. NAS not supported unless SMBv1, which no modern NAS including apparently Humax supports because it is obsolete. My old broken NAS did support it. Glad I found this out before buying a new NAS!

Your router is always on. Some routers have media server capability, if you connect a USB hard drive.

Yes, my router has a DLNA media server but Sonos does not support that.

Coincidentally, my router is old and (only) supports SMBv1 which is what Sonos wants. However no Mac or Win10 PC will connect to that so it's useless as a hub and even getting files onto it was a challenge.

I know it's off topic but I eventually decided to use a mac mini I already had as my media hub. Sonos works and I get iTunes home sharing for my wife's iOS devices. I can install a DLNA server on the same iTunes repository I believe.

None of this is the fault of Humax, if it were not for Sonos I would have used it. It's irritating that I can't upload to the Humax music folder except by USB, and that PS3 does not play from it. But those are not the main issues in the end for me.

Back