How to ping into box

Robti

Hi I noticed when reading another thread about pinging into your box to check network connectivity, I didn’t want to add to that thread, so how exactly do you ping into our boxes ?
Thanks

You need to have an operating system on your computer that accepts ping as a command line, here is an example :-
2018-06-20_07.19.16.jpg

As you can see ping is followed by the IP address of your Humax, the result is a time in mili-seconds for the 'reply' to the ping

Last edited:
If I had said all operating systems, I'm sure someone would find one that doesn't have it
I just don't understand why you mentioned operating systems in the first place. I have used a reasonable number of operating systems and all the ones I have tried that had networking functionality had some way of doing a ping test.

IF you know how to do it. Robti presumably didn't. That's why he asked.
In Windows, the vital bit is "Open a command prompt". How? One might ask. By typing "cmd" into the search field bottom left. Or even "Power" and look for the Power shell entry in the results.

I think Ezra was avoiding exactly that sort of trap.
But surely if there is no networking functionality (as was certainly true of some of the early operating systems I used many years ago) nobody would expect to be able to ping anything. It just seemed like a very odd statement to make unless there is a relatively common operating system without any ping functionality available.

I was simply trying to offer an explanation as to why it might not work, I don't think the OP would have been misled by my statement

Back