How to play HD Fox T2 recordings on a network connected HD Fox T2 box?

WP53

Please forgive me if this has been addressed before but I can't quite find the answers I need.

- I have 2 HD Fox T2's. One has a HDD.(Note these are HD not HDR's)

- I want to be able to access and play the recordings that are on the T2 with the HDD, when using the T2 without the HDD (as well as the T2 they were recorded on). (Now that I have successfully upgraded both my T2's to custom firmware V 3.02)

How?

- I have installed bootHDR to allow decryption.

Q:- I know you have to copy the files to remove decryption, so can I just copy them back to original location (since I still want to access them from the T2 that recorded them as well as the T2 in the other room?)
Q:- How do I use the separate tool to decrypt the High Def recordings?
Q:- Can I do this copying/decryption without using telnet on my PC?
Q - Can I do this in an auto way - ie every so often do bootHDR and just have a script scoop up all the still encrypted recordings?

Maybe there are better suggestions?

Thanks all

Update - since I have installed the autounprotect program I understand the High Def recordings should be auto decrypted.
Also I have installed Media Tomb and Samba (does this help?)

The HD-FOX cannot auto-decrypt. Auto-unprotecting HiDef recordings will allow you to manually decrypt by copy, and using the OPT+ copy option while booted into HDR Mode is the only way decryption can be achieved on a HD-FOX. No ifs, no buts.

If you want to copy them back to the original location after they have been decrypted, that is entirely your choice. (Actually, you can equally well move/copy the recordings somewhere while not in HDR Mode, then copy them back in HDR Mode to achieve the decryption - the important detail is that the OPT+ move/copy option offers to "copy" rather than "move".)

The full gen on encryption will be found in Things Every... (click) section 5, and links to further reading therein. Please read both additional references: to methods for decryption for HDR-FOX (as background knowledge); and to decryption for HD-FOX (to understand the differences and what you can and can't expect when reading about HDR-FOX facilities).

Once you have a stock of decrypted recordings, the easiest way to play them across the network is to use the foxlink package (see relevant details in the wiki and/or existing forum topic, just treat your HD-FOX with the HDD as the HDR-FOX from the point of view of foxlink configuration).

MediaTomb
will make decrypted recordings accessible using the remote HD-FOX's DLNA client (Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network) - or using any other DLNA-capable media player come to that, but requires a degree of configuration. Foxlink will make the drive connected to one HD-FOX appear as if a locally connected USB drive on the other HD-FOX, be accessed via Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB, and allows all the bookmarking and trick play options normally available to a local recording (which DLNA doesn't). If you don't need MediaTomb for anything, uninstall it.

PS: referring to "T2" isn't very helpful, as it does not distinguish between HDR-FOX T2 and HD-FOX T2 - the reader would have to work out which you mean from context. "HD" could also mean High Definition. Please use "HD-FOX" to avoid confusion (see also Glossary).

Last edited:
OK!
I didn't expect such a complete reply - and so quickly - thanks for the fantastic support.
Now to go do.
And yes, point taken about the references to "T2"

I think you will soon find you want to get an HDR-FOX as your server. Decryption can be automatic, so content is available on the network almost immediately after the recording completes and without any tedious manual intervention. (StDef and HiDef content is available to other HD/HDR-FOXes on the network even without CF, but with the restrictions of DLNA access - perfectly workable, but CF access is so much better.)

Back