How to tell which Custom Firmware installed

Sarah Roberts

Hello everyone

I've recently become a member of this fantastic forum, and this is my very first question - forgive me if it's a stupid one
I searched here yesterday for help with my query but couldn't find an answer so here goes....

I inherited a Humax (hdr fox t2) when my father passed away (he was an avid fan of this forum and using custom firmware)
My question is, how do i tell which version of 'CF 3.10' i've got?

When i switch on my hdr from cold, the display just reads - "Cust FW 3.10

But on the webpage - Firmware_Downloads - there are three versions of custom firmware available:

3.10 (custom firmware)
3.10d (with debug kernel)
3.10k (with stock kernel)

I'm not very good with computers so i really don't want to re-install the software - i'm just looking to identify what i've got
- the simplest way possible

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Load the WebIF in your Web browser and look at the bottom right of the page (scroll down).

The three you listed are not the three that matter - the "stock kernel" and "debug kernel" would only be used if you were instructed to do so to cure some problem. What you really want to know is what version of standard firmware is it based on.

Doubt it (BH would know!)

'm just looking to identify what i've got
- the simplest way possible
You have 3.10 and most likely the one without the suffix (k or d) as that's only used for specific circumstances. The Custom firmware you have will be based on a particular version of the standard Humax firmware and that can be seen through the standard on-TV menus under system information.

As Black Hole said, the easiest way is to connect the Humax to the network, find its IP address through the standard on-TV menus and then point a web browser at it. All of the information is at the bottom right of the main screen.

Wow, thank you for the speedy responses!

I havn't got a clue what his User name was i'm afraid - and i'm not even sure he was an actual member, perhaps more of an armchair fan, but what I do know is he printed over 100 pages or so, of what he called 'The Bible' (all things Humax) from this Forum, so he could read offline and self-teach. I've sort of learnt from him really over the last few months he was with us, so my knowledge is a bit patchy

If I find any more info about him being a member or not i'll let you know, as i'm sure you'll want to remove him from your listings

I'd like to echo what my father used to say which was, "....never be afraid to ask something, even if it's a silly question, as someone else could benefit from that knowledge, but was too scared to ask themselves"

Thank you for all the help, and i'll go down the WebIF route, once i've found out how to do it from his notes

I'll be in touch again soon with the info

Thank you Trev :)

My personal favourite is by 'capt john luc picard' (I grew up watching TNG!) -

".....I respect an officer who is prepared to admit ignorance and ask a question, rather than one who out of pride will blunder blindly forward".

Right, back to the Humax
- So i've found out how to use the WebIF now and opened it via Google Chrome. The details at the bottom of the WebIF page are:

Code:
Web interface version: 1.3.3-3
Custom firmware version: 3.10 (build 2629)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel Unknown - Jan 30 21:57:31 GMT 2016)
Loader Version: a7.30
System ID: 80bc.7e00
Serial Number: 63 7104879 00145
Last Boot Reason: Scheduled event

....from what you can see guys, do I have the correct Custom Firmware?

Many thanks

I don't recognise any of those, and no - it would not be removed because of the risk of also deleting relevant material. Any login could be disabled though.

Definitely not 4291 - he's still "around", but doesn't even lurk any more. He used to like playing and trying things out, but I think it all got a bit too technical.

do I have the correct Custom Firmware?
No, as af123 says, that was a development version not the release version.
You should downloaded the latter from the Wiki and install it. Instructions also on the Wiki. Let us know if you get stuck!

It depends what you mean by correct, but that is a beta version (3.10rc2 to be precise).

(but that was only made available to a few users)
So Sarah's dad must have been known to us (or at least you).

Ah! I see what you were getting at in post 10 now.

- could one of these have been your Father's username?

I really couldn't tell you if he was a member or not. His full name was 'George Nellie Roberts' and he was in the RAF - does that help?

My mother said he purchased the Humax on 'Gumtree' in May/June, I think - could the development version have already been on it?

No, as af123 says, that was a development version not the release version.
You should downloaded the latter from the Wiki and install it. Instructions also on the Wiki. Let us know if you get stuck!

Do I actually need to change versions if I only want to save/copy his old recordings onto a hard drive which is connected externally? I'd really like to keep all of his old war movies, documentaries and comedies etc just for sentimental reasons really

I've got an old 4TB one from seagate which I can make available

Do I actually need to change versions if I only want to save/copy his old recordings onto a hard drive which is connected externally? I'd really like to keep all of his old war movies, documentaries and comedies etc just for sentimental reasons really

I've got an old 4TB one from seagate which I can make available
No, but 4TB is going to be a problem to use.

See Things Every... (click) section 12.

I guess it could have come with the development code on it (it went to "release" about April 2016), but that raises another question!

Internal. IIRC some people have tried formatting an external drive, without success.

You could fit the drive internally, and just keep the old drive as the archive. It will access fine if you put it in a USB caddy (or connect to it with a USB-SATA adapter). If you are going that route, I recommend you install the release version of CF3.10 first. It would also be as well to ensure all the contents of the old drive are decrypted before you remove it.

Back