Humax HDR-FOX T2 no sound with new Panasonic smart tv

plumdim

Just upgraded our 26" Panasonic TV to Panasonic TX-40GX800B Smart TV. (no Scart port)
Connected up the HDMi and RF leads straight from old to new...perfect picture of live TV and on recordings rewind etc just NO SOUND
Tried new leads and different HDMi ports also supplier and Panasonic unable to advise cure.

Can the sound be made to work, anyone know for sure?

Your Panasonic has HDMI 2.1 and may default to expecting inputs to be using it. The Humax HDR uses an earlier version.

I think the Panasonic has a menu option to change the HDMI setting for each input. No guarantees but it is worth experimenting.

Your Panasonic has HDMI 2.1 and may default to expecting inputs to be using it. The Humax HDR uses an earlier version.

I think the Panasonic has a menu option to change the HDMI setting for each input. No guarantees but it is worth experimenting.
Well knock me over with a feather!
Having been through that step with Panasonic's helpful phone service and without success and been told by those who should know better (Humax) that the HDR-Fox T2 was just too old, I tried again this time it worked.
Thank you very much and for your quick reply.

Having been through that step with Panasonic's helpful phone service
Glad to its working now.

I'm a little surprised Panasonic's helpline didn't sort it for you - I have quite a good opinion of them. A few months ago and unbeknownst to me my 89yr old very non-techy aunt managed to corrupt some settings on her smart TV; she called them for help and they managed to talk her through a factory reset and stayed on the line until it was all working again. They would have needed the patience of Job.

Just for info - current Panasonic TVs (up to and including 2020 models) DON'T have HDMI 2.1 - they have HDMI 2.0 ports, but with certain HDMI 2.1 features (such as Auto Low Latency Mode) enabled.

Either way, ports such as HDMI or USB are always backwards compatible, so a device like a Humax with earlier-version HDMI ports should (in theory) always work with a TV with a later HDMI revision - you just won't be able to make use of any enhanced / added features or increased bandwidth/speed.

The fact that Humax claimed your PVR was 'too old' shows a startling ignorance, especially if that was a technical helpline !

My Humax HDR-Fox T2 works with my 2019 Panasonic GZ950 without any issues (well, apart from the failing hard drive...)

Just for info - current Panasonic TVs (up to and including 2020 models) DON'T have HDMI 2.1

I daresay you are correct - I wouldn't know. However Panasonic's e-Help manual for plumdim's TX-40GX800B contains several references to HDMI 2.1 settings and no mention of HDMI 2.0 so it isn't surprising if there is confusion.

Back