Humax not seen on network (Solved)

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
I have two boxes both set up exactly the same. Box 1 (HUMAXONE) appears in my (Windows 10) network under Computer but box 2 (HUMAXTWO) does not. Both appear in media devices (HDR-FOX T2 H1 & HDR-FOX T2 H2). Connections to the router are fine as are WebIF and RS. Tearing my hair out as to why it is not there. Can someone please put me out of my misery.
Capture 29-10-2020 14_30_37.jpg

Whenever I have had this problem the 'fix' has been to turn everything off, including (especially) the router, and restart everything. Worth a try, if you haven't already done so.

Thanks @alanofcleeves - I had turned off/on everything but I gave it a good 2 hours today. Still no joy.
@Black Hole - I am not sure what zeroconf is meant to do. I don't have it on humaxone and that is okay. Will try it on humaxtwo and see what happens.

I am not sure what zeroconf is meant to do.
I don't understand it either, but there must be some kind of network discovery protocol that sends out a query and other end points respond with a name they will recognise if addressed by that name (instead of IP address, unless there is a "DNS" lookup somewhere to translate name to IP). I haven't had good results with it, maybe Win7 doesn't do it, but I thought the new beta activity was intended to make it more effective.

However, all that is entirely off the top of my head and could equally be out of my arse.

One of the curses of Windows. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the samba package. This may make the unit reappear on the network. It will probably happen again though.

Thanks @MontysEvilTwin - did as suggested but no difference. When uninstalling the following was displayed:
Capture 30-10-2020 17_03_57.jpg
When reinstalling the following was displayed:
Capture 30-10-2020 17_04_56.jpg
What is 'secrets.tdb' and could it have an impact on my problem ?

Bonjour is one of the possible packages that will install support for the mDNS protocol integrated into the host's name resolution system. You'll need such a package for humaxname.local (or whatever) to be understood in the browser address bar or as the parameter of a telnet command.

AF's original package also advertised using the Link Layer Multicast Name Resolution protocol, which was a Microsoft proposal that has effectively been superseded by mDNS, but might have been built into some now unsupported versions of Windows. Supported versions of Windows should know about mDNS.

secrets.tdb seems to be some file containing the file share access details (passwords). OP presumably needs the actual version rather than the one provided by the reinstalled samba package.

What happens when trying to access \\humaxtwo\whatever_share (ie, whatever share is supposed to be offered similar to that offered by host humaxone), say using the Explorer bar? My Windows foo is somewhat archaic as my actively used machines are happier in the Debian world than with their now unsupported OEM Windows.

Last edited:
Can someone please put me out of my misery.
nbtstat at the command line is your friend here. You can query name registrations etc. using one of these options: -a, -A, -c, -n, -r
Run it without any options to work out what they do!

Thank you both.
@/df - \\humaxtwo\media connects fine and gives full access to all shares (eg, my video)
@prpr - nbtstat using -r shows both boxes though Humaxone is there twice. Have tried both reload and releaserefresh.
Unfortunately humaxtwo still not displayed under Computer

nbtstat using -r shows both boxes though Humaxone is there twice.
You need to provide the output from the various commands (and for both boxes with -a).
If something is there twice on one but not on the other then that's a clue.
You can also try smbclient -L <name> on the HDRs to see what their point of view is.

@prpr - Brilliant... checked smbclient and had not changed the workgroup name after doing an RMA and reinstall of WebIf on humaxtwo. All back as it should be now.
Thanks a lot (hair feels safer too !)

checked smbclient and had not changed the workgroup name
I have two boxes both set up exactly the same.
First thing to check really is the /mod/etc/smb.conf files...

DNS resolution is nothing to do with Netbios names or Browser workgroups either. Rebooting routers is also pointless as it has no influence except for providing switching capability between peer-peer devices.

Back