Humax portal not working

martfoxy

Using latest custom firmware and the Humax portal is not working just get sent back to local IP. Is this a general issue?

The TV Portal is notoriously unreliable, nothing to do with CF. I just tried it and was able to get iPlayer "LOADING", but then the BBC's "Something went wrong". The BBC NEWS app worked though, and I was able to get iPlayer up on a second try.

The CF is not involved with any of this standard Humax functionality, and it is unreasonable to post a thread implying it might be.

Last edited:
With CF3.13 (and no portal-related packages installed) on a HD, the first attempt to run the Portal succeeded but running iPlayer crashed the machine, par for the course. After restarting I was able to bring up iPlayer and be irritated by its painful UI.

I was being diplomatic by saying "imply" - the OP reads like an accusation to me: "I've installed CF and now the portal doesn't work", especially considering the forum section it's posted in.

For af123's sake, I don't think we should tolerate unfounded conflations which could show up in search results, as per my argument with mihaid.

Using latest custom firmware and the Humax portal is not working just get sent back to local IP. Is this a general issue?
Yes. Generally a complete waste of time. If you don't have a smart TV, then might I suggest that you get an Amazon Firestick or similar for catchup TV. I have a couple of 4K Amazon Fire TV sticks and they are really good. Even better if you are a member of Amazon Prime.
Other catchup USB devices are available.

I just assumed the OP was being complete in mentioning the CF level in case it was relevant.

BH and others would have complained if relevant information had been omitted.
You cant expect every user to know exactly what is/is not relevant to a problem
It is much better to be given information that turns out to be extraneous than to have to tease out the details from a vague description with no environmental information

I just assumed the OP was being complete in mentioning the CF level in case it was relevant.
That is also how I read it.
As stated by BH the portal is unreliable.
In practise it often causes the boxes to crash and has brief periods where it does not work at all. These days I rarely attempt to use it and instead use either youtube.dl on the Humax, or Get_iplayer and then ftp it on to the Humax.

What do you mean by "just get sent back to local IP"? How do you know that is happening?

If the problem doesn't go away after restarting, OP can run the cpdiag diagnostic and post the results. The portal configuration lives on the flash disk and it's possible for it to get corrupted. We'll see if anyone can remember what the diagnostic output means.

Yeah, well, that's not exactly what I meant. A certain vociferous poster on here has it firmly in his head that the CF "causes" picture pixelation, because that's what other posts seemed to say (by not reading the whole discussion). That's what I mean by reputation: people get the wrong idea by skimming and search results.

Strange that OP has not come back, isn't it? Oh no it's not after that welcome.
F*** me. Are we deliberately trying to piss people off who make, what in your opinion, is possibly a slight 'error' of semantics, although was probably included for completeness rather than blame? If so, it seems to work just fine and dandy. :frantic:

Strange that OP has not come back, isn't it?
Not really. Newbies are not always forum junkies and might well not know what to expect. They can easily post, wait a few minutes for an answer, not get one in that short time, go away, forget about it...

However, whatever they posted is there, ready for the spiders to find and index for search. Whatever inaccuracies their post contains, for whatever reason or motive, needs correcting ASAP otherwise it becomes "fact". We know this.

What has damaged this thread is the ridiculous extent of discussion about my reply! All I did was state the facts (whether you agree or not), without getting personal. The alternative approach "hello, welcome to our forum, we're all touchy-feely and we'll be nice to you" sounds desperate.

It would have been easy to interpret OP's question as providing platform information, albeit incomplete (was it the latest beta, or the latest stable, ...?) and there are CF packages that affect the Portal.

Anyhow, now that there are perhaps two useful apps available from the Humax portal, isn't it time to build on the new-portal and the former portal-xtra1 CF packages to make the Portal button do some more useful things.

For instance, could there be a WebIf "app" by linking the IR key-handling JS from the Portal to WebIf?

What about a WebShell app, maybe usable with a USB keyboard?

If access to the YouTube app were proxied through the lighttpd server linked with the new OpenSSL, would it start working again?

Anyhow, now that there are perhaps two useful apps available from the Humax portal, isn't it time to build on the new-portal and the former portal-xtra1 CF packages to make the Portal button do some more useful things.
Are you volunteering?
As with most projects it just needs someone with sufficient interest and time to get it started.

Let's start with expressions of interest and then see if there's any demand and then if there's anyone with prior knowledge and requisite skills.

It's possible that I don't have the latter as my brief attempt to access WebShell through new-portal just gave a WebIf 404 page, leading to the WebIf home page with Back on the remote. Or maybe I should try harder.

A certain vociferous poster on here has it firmly in his head that the CF "causes" picture pixelation
for someone who professes accuracy and expressing oneself as clear as possible, the above is an unmitigated lie. I dare you to post evidence which I supposedly posted AFTER my disk was "repaired"

Back