Humax Warranty on Ebay Sale?

Tiebreaker

Just purchased an HDR Fox T2 from an ebay seller - it was advertised as being new (unused old stock) and eligible for a Humax 12 month warranty.

I'm sure that the machine is new - it's in pristine condition and still had the clear protective covering on it - but I was expecting to find a blank warranty card or something that I could send to Humax to register it..

The seller informs me that all I need is the serial number from the machine - I've emailed Humax about it but got no reply.

The Humax site says that I'm going to need receipts/proof of purchase from a retailer - my instinct tells me that an ebay sale from a private seller, which can't be guaranteed 100% to be a new machine, isn't going to qualify for a warranty from Humax.

Anyone have an idea if it would qualify for a warranty?

Obviously, I'll call Humax - but the fact they haven't replied to my email is telling me what I already suspect to be the answer.

While we remain in the EU - electronic devices such as the HDR boxes are covered under warranty for six years
(parts labour and inconvenience to be covered by the seller) There is no "registration" requirement.
Your warranty is always with the company that sold it to you not the manufacturer.
The six year limit may be negotiable on a device with mechanical content (in this case the hard drive)
Should it go wrong you are entitled to money, replacement or similar item (your choice) on a pro rata basis.
The seller is responsible for all transport/postage to and from you and any inconvenience you suffer.

While we remain in the EU - electronic devices such as the HDR boxes are covered under warranty for six years
(parts labour and inconvenience to be covered by the seller) There is no "registration" requirement.
Your warranty is always with the company that sold it to you not the manufacturer.
The six year limit may be negotiable on a device with mechanical content (in this case the hard drive)
Should it go wrong you are entitled to money, replacement or similar item (your choice) on a pro rata basis.
The seller is responsible for all transport/postage to and from you and any inconvenience you suffer.
That's slightly over simplified!
But more to the point Tiebreaker bought from a private seller and as such neither the EU retail regulations or UK Consumer Rights Act apply.

Anyone have an idea if it would qualify for a warranty?
Unlikely as a private seller would not be recognised by Humax as an official retailer, but you could register just in case. Although the Humax site will allow you to register unfortunately it is only when you claim that Humax verify whether it is covered or not.

That's slightly over simplified!
But more to the point Tiebreaker bought from a private seller and as such neither the EU retail regulations or UK Consumer Rights Act apply.

Not simplified - in fact the written law is shorter and clearer.
I did not however realise the purchase was from a private individual.
(if indeed it was -it's sometimes hard to spot a trader on ebay - if I was tiebraker I'd double check that.)
In that case however it is unlikely any warranty is valid.
"registering" is normally for purposes of address collection and legal miss-direction regardless of what the "registration" card
says (not just humax there). It has no UK function in law.

That being said I've had several dealings with Humax and always found them to go out of their way to be helpful
so they might do so as a goodwill gesture. It's worth asking anyway.

PS. UK consumer rights are subservient to EU law and are ratified from EU law (usually within 2 years of promulgation if I remember correctly).

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'm going to call Humax tomorrow to clarify and I'll update you with their verdict!

I didn't expect a warranty from the seller of course - but if it's being advertised as being available for a 12 month warranty, I assumed there would be some kind of blank Humax warranty card with it.

I didn't expect a warranty from the seller of course - but if it's being advertised as being available for a 12 month warranty, I assumed there would be some kind of blank Humax warranty card with it.
Humax warranties of 1 year are normally for refurbished units bought through Humax direct. I haven't heard of a 1 year Humax warranty in other circumstances for a good few years.
From what you have said I would expect that 12 month warranty to be the seller's warranty.

If that's what you were led to believe, you have a legitimate complaint within the eBay ecosystem. UK law places the onus on the supplier to have responsibility to you (and nobody else). Any other stated or implied warranty, even when by the manufacturer, carries no legal force unless it constitutes part of the contract of sale (which is then a civil law matter).

Last edited:
I don't think it is quite right to state that UK consumer rights are subservient to EU law in this context. My understanding is that the consumer is entitled to rely on UK rights if these offer better protection. The 2015 Consumer Rights Act incorporates the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. The latter state that for goods ordered at home "if the goods do not last a reasonable length of time you may be entitled to some money back" for up to 6 years. Of course the terms "reasonable", "may" and "some" are all equivocal. Additionally applying this to an e-bay seller may be difficult in practice. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect 6 years of trouble free life from a pvr - though others may think differently. These points are probably more of academic interest than immediate help for Tiebreaker.

Indeed. I have long watched for somebody to try to uphold what they might believe they are entitled to under their interpretation of the CRA. The store keeper isn't going to wear it unless they can pass the liability on to their own supplier, so it will all come down to how far you are prepared to pursue it into court. In most cases, it ain't worth the hassle.

BH you are under a number of missaprehensions.

First - I have personally recovered money and goods under the EU regulations - in fact it was a fridge not a humax box and sold by Currys and refunded and
replaced at discount by them. Delivered and installed within 7 days of my presenting the letter to their manager. In fact the agreement to refund just under £200 and
provide a £50 discount was made over the phone when they called me the very next day. (it was a couple of years ago - I'm rounding out the numbers)
Until I quoted the legislation I got stone walled.
You now have one example.
This is how I know about this. To be more accurate I know about it from an interview given on radio WM on the old Ed. Doolan show some years ago
and looked it up afterwards.

I suspect a seller on ebay would not be so responsive for all the reasons you can think of as well as me however. In such a case I have no
doubt legal action would be required. But small claims are fairly easy and cheap to do.

UK law is required to ratify EU law within around 2 years - this makes UK law sub-seviant.

Also - "what is deemed reasonable" etc. is not a matter of conjecture nor opinion. EU courts have stated the 6 year and other figures for other goods
specifically to eliminate such confusion. The goods must function as specified for that period of time or the refund/replacement option kicks in - there
is no arguament except miss-use or "possibly" failure to prove purchase that can be used by the supplier.

It is all quite specific. UK trading standards are legally irrelevant in this respect.

But small claims are fairly easy and cheap to do.
It still sets the bar at a level where only the determined could be bothered if we're only talking a couple of hundred quid.

My "misapprehensions" as you put it are nothing to do with misunderstanding - you misapprehend that I'm talking practicalities for busy people.

Just received an email reply from Humax on this matter ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Humax.
I'm afraid products purchased from Ebay, new or used, do not have any warranty cover unless it is covered by the seller.

Best Regards,

JosephM
Humax Customer Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back