Hummy Crash Faults

SandyMac

My Hummy has been suffering from a high number of crashes and I'm trying to understand what is causing them. Can anyone explain the following, please:

*** Core file /mod/core/humaxtv.1427138891.236 ***
Mon Mar 23 19:28:11 GMT 2015
Core was generated by `/usr/bin/humaxtv'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x008a18a8 in ?? ()
[Current thread is 1 (Thread 2209)]
Thread
#0 0x008a18a8 in ?? ()

Thanks in anticipation.

Sandymac

I'm not very familiar with that, but it looks (to me) like a bug in the Humax standard code. @af123 might be able to make more of it if it is within the areas he has disassembled. I'm surprised a crash in the Humax code generated a crash report!

What I believe is that crashes generally occur when the Humax code is stressed by a situation that was either not accounted and trapped for in the design, or was not implemented correctly and insufficiently tested before release. In particular, network communication errors do not seem to have been adequately coded for - and possibly only tested with a fully operational and clean network set-up... any little hiccup seems to cause a problem.

Are you aware of the following?: Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)

Last edited:
You might be on to something there, @Black Hole, with the network set-up as I reverted to wifi some time ago. Will reconfigure back to LAN as I know that some wifi dongles can cause problems (although I never experienced these before with the dongle I use). Perhaps @arf123 can confirm this.

That's a crash in the on-board DLNA server

There is likely a media device on your network that is sending packets that the Humax does not like. Take a look at the dlna-filter package which can block these.

That's a crash in the on-board DLNA server

View attachment 4034

There is likely a media device on your network that is sending packets that the Humax does not like. Take a look at the dlna-filter package which can block these.

Many thanks, @af123, I'll investigate further. In the meantime, I have reconnected on LAN to reduce risks of reboots caused by wifi.

2C: Disconnect the network connection (Ethernet cable or WiFi dongle). If the crashes stop, the likelihood is that the DLNA service is conflicting with another DLNA service on your home network. Some versions of Twonky are known to conflict in this way - have you added or updated a DLNA service on your network recently? See the wiki HERE (click) for a list of software known to conflict with the HDR-FOX DLNA server. This diagnosis can be confirmed if crashes remain absent when the network is reconnected after the HDR-FOX DLNA service is disabled (see 2D), but note that disabling the DLNA service alone is not necessarily diagnostic of an external DLNA conflict. The dlna-filter custom firmware package is able to isolate the HDR-FOX server from external servers. Alternatively, it could be that the Humax's IP address is conflicting with another device on your network - networking faults have been observed to crash the Humax.

Thanks for the quote, @Black Hole. I haven't changed or added any devices to my network for some time so discounted conflicts. I also use fixed IP addresses. I am aware of the Twonky issue etc but, as no changes made, discounted this. I will, however, re-investigate all potential causes in an effort to isolate and resolve the issue. Many thanks for your and @af123's help. I'll post an update as and when I have resolved the matter.

Edit: Forgot to mention, @af123, that I have the dna filter package installed.

It might be worth rebuilding the DLNA data base via the Diagnostic menus, but sometimes it may be a corrupted recording that causes the server problems and that can be trickier to identify.

Already rebuilt DLNA database, @MymsMan, even though I don't believe this to be the fault. Don't want to try too many things at once otherwise I'll never find the problem. Will update when I have further information.

Back