Incorrect Broadcasters Timers

greywizard

Sorry if title confuses but must be old age that I cant remember correct wording!
I have found lately that some recordings are starting late and finishing early. Not all
channels and only occasionally. Is it that the broadcasters are not triggering the start and finish signals correctly.

I have found lately that some recordings are starting late and finishing early. Not all
channels and only occasionally. Is it that the broadcasters are not triggering the start and finish signals correctly.
The possibility will depend on which broadcasters you are referring to, and for some broadcasters, which channels.

Can you post some examples?

I'm not clear which broadcasters properly implement Accurate Recording. I suspect BBC, ITV, C4, Five do. If you have not adjusted the padding settings on your 4000T/5000T then these should record accurately if the broadcasters are sending out the correct signals. Other channels, don't implement AR at all and so the on/off times really are the times in the EPG when you set the recording. If the programme moves, either because of events or because the channel has a habit of running late, you will lose bits of your programme. Starting late and finishing early (if by that you mean the programme has started and (say) 30s later the recording starts then the recording finishes 30s before the end, rather than the recording starts, a few minutes later the programme starts and the end is cut off) would, most likely, be a broadcaster fault. As Luke requested, to give a better answer we'd need some examples.

'm not clear which broadcasters properly implement Accurate Recording. I suspect BBC, ITV, C4, Five do.
The BBC only dynamically adjust their TV channels' EITpf.

Having said that I'm not sure about BBC Parliament.

Also for BBC Radio 4, since about 3 years ago, they appear to be supplying the default values for its EITpf from the running schedule and not the billed schedule. This results in recordings' start and stop times being closer to the actual times compared to what they used to be, but not as close as supplying the Accurate Recording adjustments would be.

Last edited:
Back