Interesting fact

D

Deleted member 473

As a variant of Interesting Items, I thought maybe we could try a puzzle format similar to QI. I will start it.

I have in mind 1666 and a particular interesting fact about it. You are allowed to propose interesting facts, one per post please, and preferably give others a chance before you churn out your 20 facts garnered from Google!

When someone finds the fact I am after, or one I find more interesting, I hand over to that person, who will choose their own topic, and so on.

So, to start, 1666, what is interesting about that?

No, so far...you are both fishing in the wrong pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a book somewhere, listing why each number is mathematically interesting... it might take me a while to find it though!

I recall there was some number that was interesting simply by not having any other interesting property!

Written in Roman Numerals 1666 reads "MDCLXVI" which is all basic Roman Numerals in decreasing order.
I've got a book somewhere, listing why each number is mathematically interesting... it might take me a while to find it though!

I recall there was some number that was interesting simply by not having any other interesting property!
Excellent, that was what I had in mind. It was one of the things that made 1666 an ominous year, apart from the 666 of course.

Over to you, gomezz!

All whole positive numbers are interesting.
Proof by contradiction.
If there exists an uninteresting number, then there has to be a smallest uninteresting number, which in itself makes if interesting. But that is a contradiction. Hence all numbers are interesting. QED

It all hinges on the vagueness of the word interesting.

42 minutes is the journey time on any Earth gravity train.

Wow, so many interesting facts about 42. Good choice, BH!

A42/M42 links East Midlands Airport with the M5 and forms part of the outer Birmingham car park.

Back