Invalid Format error with LG TV

aod

Over the past few weeks my TV has been showing an error ‘Invalid Format’ on occasion, when connecting to my Humax via HDMI.

TV: LG 42PJ350 / Software: V03.22.00
Humax HDR Fox T2 / Software: 1.02.32

This has been happening more and more recently and today I can’t get the TV to see any channels at all.

I’ve tried turning the TV on first, then the HDR, I get the Humax start screen (HDMI signal is getting through to TV), then whilst it is starting up, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then just as it’s about to display the TV programme, it goes to the LG screen saver and a message: Invalid Format.

I’ve tried turning the HDR on first, then the TV, I’ve changed channels on the HDR and tried radio/tv. No difference. I’ve factory reset the TV. I haven’t factory reset the HDR, as I don’t really want to have to re-edit my channels again.

All other inputs work ok on the TV, it just doesn’t like the Humax when it’s trying to output TV.

I can’t find anything useful on Google. Hope someone can help!

Unfortunately you have no idea whether the TV is at fault or the Humax.

When you say "edit the channels", do you mean just deleting the useless ones? That can be done as a block, no great hassle.

This sounds like an HDMI handshaking problem, you could try the different options available from the Humax Remote >> V-Format button

Is your Humax set to a higher resolution than the 720p that your TV is capable of displaying.

Right... Well if the TV is not 1080-capable that looks like the answer. If the "invalid format" problem arises when the Humax is set to 1080 output (V Format button), you have your solution.

Is your Humax set to a higher resolution than the 720p that your TV is capable of displaying.
I haven't made any changes to the resolution - I think it has been set to 1080p, and working fine until recently. I've used other devices with it at 1080p as well, and worked fine. I can't display anything from the Humax box now to change the resolution.

This sounds like an HDMI handshaking problem, you could try the different options available from the Humax Remote >> V-Format button
Thanks, I have tried pressing the V-Format button, it doesn't appear to make a difference.

The process of setting up the HDMI link is a bit complicated. I am not sure whether this applies to 720 (it might), but certainly for 1080 the Humax negotiates a protected link with the TV by HDCP (exchanges certificates to verify the TV is not capable of outputting the HiDef video to an unprotected recording device). The TV may have taken to objecting to this negotiation - but again, it is not conclusive which end is to blame.

Brian : Is your Humax set to a higher resolution than the 720p that your TV is capable of displaying.
I haven't made any changes to the resolution - I think it has been set to 1080p, and working fine until recently. I've used other devices with it at 1080p as well, and worked fine. I can't display anything from the Humax box now to change the resolution.

Even though the Max. display resolution is 720 the TV will still be capable of taking in 1080 and down scaling it to 720

Can you get access to another HDMI TV and attach your humax to that (a friend/neighbour perhaps). If the humax works with that then chances are its the TV.
Similarly, attach some other device to your TV (DVD?) to see if TV works then ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had this on my Sony TV yesterday. I came home from work and turned on the TV, Amp, and Humax box in the usual order, and a message came up on the TV saying the video format was unsupported. This was a messaged displayed by the TV's software, not the Humax.

I put the Humax into Standby and brought it back out again and all was fine.

Certainly at that point in time the Humax was pushing out something that the TV did not like.

It's a HDMI handshake Failure, when first turned on, the Humax and TV negotiate to see how they are going to talk to each other, if for some reason the handshake fails you often get a 'Green Screen' or nothing. The Biggest culprits for this are Sony and Samsung TVs

I used to get the green screen a lot under older firmwares, haven't seen it in a long time though. While this could be the same 'handshake' issue, the results are not the same. I didn't get a green screen like I have in the past, I haven't seen that 'unsupported video format' before either.

Yes, it does sound like instead of getting no handshake format with a green of blank screen, you got an invalid handshake format, handshaking used to fail more often when the Humax was switched out of standby while it was recording a program, users would have to wait until the recording had finished and then power cycle or alternately use Scart rather than HDMI, Humax may have fixed this, not sure

Back