iPlayer Download Definition

peterpi

I missed "Darkest Hour" on Saturday so decided to download it and watch it later. Although the download was successful the definition was only 704 by 496. Any ideas why this might be?

I missed "Darkest Hour" on Saturday so decided to download it and watch it later. Although the download was successful the definition was only 704 by 496. Any ideas why this might be?
Any clues? E.g. what you used to download and what your parameters were?
Also what is the fps on your download?

Using the HDR-FOX T2's iPlayer gives 960x540 25 fps for both the non-AD and the AD version
Using the HDR-FOX T2 Q Download package, its default config file, and the URL from the iPlayer website via a desktop browser, gives 704x396

Put -f in the qtube parameters and run immediately, then look through the results to choose the appropriate download. Instructions here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/yout...com-or-other-video-platforms.8462/post-120326
How does that help? From peterpi's post use of "only" it sounded as though he wanted more definition not less. The best qtube lists is 704x396, not even 704x496 which is what peterpi reported that he downloaded using what ever download method peterpi used.

Thanks for the responses.

OK, I'll try some of the suggestions and see how I get on. How the West Was Won is 1280x720 so is Not Going Out,

Cheers
Pete

My intention was to produce the catalogue of available formats/resolutions from which to choose. Full details are in the link I posted.
But it doesn't. It lists the ones available through qtube and as posted the best resolution for "Darkest Hour" is lower than the resolution that peterpi stated that he had already downloaded. As stated in post #2, iPLayer through the Humax is a better than the qtube resolution, and I wouldn't be surprised if get_iplayer is at least as good as Humax's iPlayer for "Darkest Hour".

yt-dl is only finding 704x396 versions at either 25 or 50fps, preferring this:
Code:
mf_cloudfront-1800-1                mp4        704x396    1800k , avc1.64001F@1570k, 50.0fps, mp4a.40.2@128k
This is the 'best' format offered through the Mediator service open.live.bbc.co.uk used by yt-dl (and get_iplayer). I suppose OP's "496" is a typo.

The iPlayer app gets formats from securegate.iplayer.bbc.co.uk using the Humax client certificate (the one that broke the app when it expired), and is offered 960x540 (though the bit-rate is little more than the lower resolution) and 512x288 as well. Using the same certificate, ipsecure.stage.bbc.co.uk also offers 1920x1080 and a higher bit-rate 960x540. 1920x1080 is also offered through open.stage.bbc.co.uk with no certificate.

To get the format list from a Mediator service, a media set (eg, pc, iptv-all) and the programme ID have to be supplied. The formats available may vary according to the media set and the programme.

yt-dl doesn't (yet) know how to offer a client certificate although the SSL/TLS library that it uses does.

But it doesn't. It lists the ones available through qtube and as posted the best resolution for "Darkest Hour" is lower than the resolution that peterpi stated that he had already downloaded. As stated in post #2, iPLayer through the Humax is a better than the qtube resolution, and I wouldn't be surprised if get_iplayer is at least as good as Humax's iPlayer for "Darkest Hour".
Fair enough, but I don't know why you're so agitated because nowhere previously was stated the 704 version is the best available via qtube/youtube-dl or that anyone had checked. I was not in a position to check, I was trying to explain how to check.

As to why 704 is "best", perhaps it's a rights thing.

Back