iPlayer stopped working?

OK having managed to get at the HDR Fox T2 here which is running ipl-fix package, I get the splash screen saying there's an update. But then when I press the "OK Got It" button the box goes into iPlayer and I can successfully play video. So it's an annoyance only.

It was a red herring that I was unable to play from iPlayer ("Oops.."), I have since succeeded (with CF). I have also tried the official 1.03.13, and the "firmware update" information screen annoyance remains – I guess it will continue to annoy until they decide to take it down.

The Humax browser sends this user agent string (HD: I don't have an HDR to test here):
Code:
Opera/9.80 (Linux 7405b0-smp; U; HbbTV/1.1.1 (; Humax; HD-FOX T2; 1.03.02; 1.0; ); ce-html/1.0; en) Presto/2.10.250 Version/11.60
Spoofing that (the 1.03.02 part) would presumably eliminate the prompt from the iPlayer site.

The UA string seems to be constructed by Opera from data returned by calls like browser_config_system_get_sw_version into the Humax settop program. Perhaps that has the version baked in, or perhaps /opt/share/.version (contents 00.03 is part of the recipe.

If we could work out how to spoof the UA, it could be rolled into the CF certificate update.

Black Hole already said he tried it with 1.03.13 which is the official Humax update for iPlayer and the annoying screen advising of an update still appeared.

Black Hole already said he tried it with 1.03.13 which is the official Humax update for iPlayer and the annoying screen advising of an update still appeared.
That's not particularly relevant. If the BBC server doesn't know it is serving a Humax HD/HDR-FOX, it won't know to put up the box (regardless of whether the 'Fox has been officially or unofficially patched).

Defeating it will depend whether it keys on the user agent or the identity of the certificate – "we" might be able to change the user agent, but the certificate is encrypted.

We're sending the new device certificate with both CF/ipl-fix and the latest OEM firmware (and as was found, that's only checked when you're actually about to play something).

If the message appears for any version of HD/R-Fox T2, it may be a transient "have you read this?" message built into the latest iPlayer code. I would expect it to set a cookie when "Got" so that it only appears once on each device, unless it's so transient that it will be removed in a few weeks. In another forum, one could inspect the file /var/lib/humaxtv/browser/cookies4.dat, perhaps using this Python script (change the #! program to /bin/env for unpatched CF 3.13).

The BBC's system architecture has a device database that is queried by UA to find the device type and hence the device capabilities here.

I'm getting iplayer something went wrong 02001. This is what I have installed. Do I need to do something?

1643887973869.png

Install it from the Available list, or update package list first. Profit.

For more background review pages 1-9 of this thread.

Back