[iplfix] BBC iPlayer fix

prpr

(The following text was mostly purloined shamelessly from @Black Hole's post in the Beta thread!)

The custom firmware iplfix package corrects the problem which caused the BBC iPlayer section of the Humax TV Portal to stop working in September 2020, as discussed here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/iplayer-stopped-working.9882/

In summary: the cryptographic certificates required to authenticate accesses to the BBC servers, embedded in the Humax HDR-FOX and HD-FOX firmware, expired and thus rendered the TV Portal unable to play content from iPlayer. Replacement certificates have been published unofficially (by a new firmware download made available on request), which were extracted and can be installed using the iplfix package.

Any future issue of the Custom Firmware (currently 3.13) will most likely include the new certificates and not require iplfix.

This package, which was previously only available for manual install, is now available in the standard repository.

Installation Notes
  1. As the manipulation provided by iplfix (substitution of certificates) occurs at boot time, a reboot is required before it takes effect.

2. If the installation fails reporting a conflict with iplhack (a previous work-around for the iPlayer problem), uninstall iplhack and then perform a manual clean-up operation as follows:
    • Obtain a command prompt (Telnet, or WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line if webshell is installed), and enter:–
      if crontab -l | grep -q /iplhack; then crontab -l | grep -v /iplhack | crontab -; fi
      (you can use copy and paste, but you have to right-click to paste in webshell)
    • Re-attempt installation of iplfix.

NB: The official firmware updates for HDR-FOX and HD-FOX have now been released (March 2021) on the Humax website for public download. These will fix iPlayer for anyone not using CF. "Official" correction for CF users (ie without requiring iplfix) awaits a new release of CF (installing official firmware without the necessary adaptations applied will disable WebIF etc).

The following text was mostly purloined shamelessly from @Black Hole's post in the Beta thread!
:rolling: Retrospective permission granted :)

I'll go and patch up...

Last edited:
This package, which was previously only available for manual install, is now available in the standard repository.
For information: iplfix is classed as an "advanced" package, so will only be listed in WebIF >> Package Management >> Available if advanced packages are enabled for view ("Show" button, top right).

Last edited:
For information: iplfix is classed as an "advanced" package
It isn't any more. It's been re-categorised as a non-advanced package. You'll need to update the package list again to reflect the change in status.

Option 1 of 15 is Black Hole's post on that thread answering your question here :).

Suspected why Black Hole's post worked with errors today was that iplfix got altered so you didn't have to do his Option 1 of his post 15 on that original thread. Explains perhaps what those errors were. Just need that module installed I guess and bobs your uncle.

(sorry to butt in)

Option 1 of 15 worked with some errors...
I have no idea what that means.
Option 1 of 15 is Black Hole's post on that thread
Ah, you mean Option 1 in post 15 (of the now-locked beta thread)...

Suspected why Black Hole's post worked with errors today...
...was because you were unlucky enough to hit a transition phase with the package being made available in the normal repo and removed from Dropbox, thus rendering the existing instructions obsolete.

Last edited:
I'll go and patch up...
I think I'm done now. If anybody spots somewhere (in my posts) still carrying superseded information, please let me know. When CF 3.14 gets released, iplfix itself will be obsoleted (until the certificates expire again).

Ah, you mean Option 1 in post 15 (of the now-locked beta thread)...

...was because you were unlucky enough to hit a transition phase with the package being made available in the normal repo and removed from Dropbox, thus rendering the existing instructions obsolete.
Yes post 15 of here under beta... not the prpr linked post of the conversation.

It did the drop box fine it just reported errors when installed but fixed the iPlayer. Reading that original post on the beta side looked like it would work with the regular custom firmware so gave it a go given it's a wet day. Post 15, option 1 of that. So reckon the package had been fiddled with in the meantime hence why it got excited with errors. On your point 5 Install it:.... then it bubbled up with error.

Basically to test what's just been changed you would need another box with the certificate issue and then just install that module as per normal.

All's good for me :). Thanks all.

Have added a note:
NB: The official firmware updates for HDR-FOX and HD-FOX have now been released (March 2021) on the Humax website for public download. These will fix iPlayer for anyone not using CF. "Official" correction for CF users (ie without requiring iplfix) awaits a new release of CF (installing official firmware without the necessary adaptations applied will disable WebIF etc).

Back