Is New Portal down?

I was unable to access the portal since last night. Pressing the remote button produced a "twirler" which disappeared after a few seconds, leaving the TV picture unchanged. The front display continued to show "Humax TV Portal" and the remote was disabled apart from the "Exit" button.

I removed the "New Portal" package and the native Humax portal worked normally. All this on two HDRs running an identical setup:

Web interface version: 1.0.11-4 (Lighttpd)
Custom firmware version: 2.22 (build 1905)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.03.06(b))

Yes, if you are running the custom portal, it needs to be the package "new-portal 1.01" for 1.03.xx. (xx meaning any version greater than 1.03.00)

If you have installed this, make sure you reboot your box about 2/3 times for things to kick in.
If it is still not kicking in, run the general diagnostic test and post the results back here.

If you are not running the custom firmware, then its a different issue.

I've had the same problem on two HDRs with the following configuration:

Web interface version: 1.0.11-4 (Lighttpd)
Custom firmware version: 2.22 (build 1905)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.03.06(b))

I removed the "new-portal 1.01" package from one of them and it now connects to the portal. The other continues to fail. There was no OTA on either of my machines and both had previously connected OK with the "new-portal" package.

Have you fully rebooted several times? It takes this for some files to be replaced..

The "new-portal" package had been installed for weeks and used to work fine on both HDRs; there were innumerable reboots over that time. But I hadn't had reason to use it lately until last night, when it failed until I removed the package on one machine and used the its native access to the portal. The second HDR, with the package still installed, still fails to connect.

Are you sure you installed the new portal package? There are a few portal packages now.

Can you post the diagnostic for the second HDR with the package still installed?

Are you sure you installed the new portal package? There are a few portal packages now.

Can you post the diagnostic for the second HDR with the package still installed?

Quite sure. From the package management screen:

ncurses Info 5.9 ncurses library - screen handling library used by other packages.
new-portal Info 1.01 New Portal - replaces the default Humax TV Portal.
newk Info 1.0.3 Automatically kill series name prefixes like 'New: '

Diagnostic:

>>> Beginning diagnostic general

Running: general

*** Directory Structure ***

Checking /mod partition type : Pass
Checking /mod filesystem type : Pass
Checking /mod/tmp directory exists : Pass
Checking /mod/var/opkg/tmp is a directory : Pass
Checking /mod/boot is a symlink : Pass
Checking /var/lib/humaxtv/mod is a directory : Pass
Checking /var/lib/humaxtv_backup/mod is a directory : Pass
Checking /mod/boot/2 is a symlink : Pass
Checking /mod/boot links correctly : Pass
Checking /mod/boot/2 links correctly : Pass

>>> Ending diagnostic general

Ok, try a force reinstall of the portal package, give it a reboot and the test it again.

What do you mean by a "force reinstall"? I reinstalled from the package management screen on the machine from which I had removed it earlier. No change after rebooting - it still failed to connect. I then removed it and rebooted, after which I could again connect to the portal.

Incidentally, I agree with the poster in another thread that the new BBC News and Sports apps work quite well.

Under the diagnostics, you can force reinstall a package incase it's not installed properly. That's what it seems like to me..

Af123 will be able to offer more advice if you still can't get it working.

Under the diagnostics, you can force reinstall a package incase it's not installed properly. That's what it seems like to me..

Af123 will be able to offer more advice if you still can't get it working.

Just did that to no effect. The annoying thing is that it worked perfectly when I first installed the custom firmware and new-portal on both HDRs. I haven't tinkered with the setup recently apart from automatic package updates and the switch to Lighttpd.

I would try the remove_portals diagnostic followed by a reboot to see if the default portal works properly. Then try installing new-portal (and rebooting) again.

I would try the remove_portals diagnostic followed by a reboot to see if the default portal works properly. Then try installing new-portal (and rebooting) again.

Did all that to no effect. I can access the Humax portal when new-portal is removed but not after I reinstall it. The front panel says Humax TV Portal, and what I call the twirler appears for a few seconds, but the portal never appears. All remote buttons except for Mute and volume controls are ineffective until Exit ends the connection attempt.

I think it's related to the beta lighttpd package that you're running. I will release an update to fix it.

Back