Is there a forum for discussion/guidance on writing packages for the custom FW

mumble_myopia

I am a long time user of the custom SW. There are a few things I'd really like to add but have not found any reference to doing this although it must be possible ;-)

Can anyone point me in the right direction pls

I am a long time user of the custom SW. There are a few things I'd really like to add but have not found any reference to doing this although it must be possible ;-)

Just start your own if you cannot find one. The site pedants will soon enough suggest it is moved if one already exists. Just make sure you give as much detail as possible to avoid their hissy fits.

Welcome m_m, long time user of CF, new member, zero contribution to the forum. Apologies, but I just felt it in my bones.......:whistling:

There is some information on the wiki HERE. If you want to write something for consideration as an extension to the WebIF, you'll have to conform to the general structure, and all the web code is in Jim (an interpreted language) so there's nothing stopping you examining the existing code (just explore the /mod directory).

When it comes to the firmware itself, a small core of people have knowledge of the nuts and bolts, and the methods used to insert and exploit hooks are best kept to themselves. They require a highly intricate analysis of the existing (undocumented) Humax code, and the effort involved can be considered proprietary.

It's a waste of everyone's time (including yours) if you don't give some indication of what you are trying to achieve – we might be able to tell you categorically it can't be done, or has significant road blocks, or is easy and point you in the right direction.

When you get to actually discussing a specific project, I suggest it is conducted either through private messaging or (at most) in the beta section of the forum – it's not really of general interest to the vast majority of users.

I created a wiki pages on creating packages that can be installed on the humax and maintaining packages using the git repository

Many packages are written using the jim/tcl language there is an extensive collection of class files to ease access to various parts of the humax infrastructure (recordings, epg, schedule etc.) but unfortunately documentation is sparse to non existent.

You will need to read existing code and ask questions, start simple at the Hello World level and experiment

If you give us some ideas of what you are thinking of we can give you some ideas where to start or if that wheel has already been invented

Welcome m_m, long time user of CF, new member, zero contribution to the forum. Apologies, but I just felt it in my bones.......:whistling:
That is mean. The CFW is remarkably effective and pretty bug-free, so there are likely many people who use it but have no need to post in the forum. What are they supposed to contribute?
The way new entries to this forum get 'welcomed' really makes me despair at times. Not everyone is as perfect as you lot. How about a little TOLERANCE ... at least until the poster has been confirmed as a troll.

"How about a little TOLERANCE ... at least until the poster has been confirmed as a troll."
I tend to check first before jumping to conclusions. This was enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
I knew when writing that my comment wouldn't go down well, but went ahead anyway. I normally take time to consider what I've written before posting, but in this instance obviously not.

If anyone's feelings have been hurt then I apologise.

I do believe that those who have been using the benefits of the forum for a long time should at least join, even if they may have nothing to contribute.

I do believe that those who have been using the benefits of the forum for a long time should at least join, even if they may have nothing to contribute.
I see your point, but especially these days I'd prefer not to give my information to a forum, or anyone else, unless it was necessary.
But this is getting way OT, so I'll shut up now :oops:

Wow - didn't expect that much response so quickly. Many thanks!
As a wise man once said "You have 2 ears and one mouth so you should listen twice as much as you speak" ;-) I certainly didn't take offence although it is an interesting view (not challenging it) that readers of a forum should join even if they don't say anything - not one I'd thought of before but I suppose it would show the level of interest there is.

I also hadn't realised the Humax code was available so it looks like I have a lot of reading to do - lucky I have a fair bit of experience delving into old large dark projects :-}

At the moment I've got a bit of time for this and have often had thoughts how to improve it in the past. I'll read the bumph, make a list of things I'd like to do and raise questions in the beta section

Just to point out: if there are stylistic changes you would like to the WebIF, you can do that locally by overriding the CSS.

it is an interesting view that readers of a forum should join even if they don't say anything - not one I'd thought of before but I suppose it would show the level of interest there is.
Apart from registering interest, it helps distinguish them from spammers and time-wasters if/when they do eventually post something.

Last edited:
I certainly didn't take offence although it is an interesting view (not challenging it) that readers of a forum should join
Very gracious - thanks.

Just a final clarification, now I've had time to reflect. I still believe that readers who take advantage of the Custom Firmware over many years but don't join and perhaps offer thanks either by writing or contributing by donation for the efforts of the maintainers, is not good form.

I'm sorry this has gone off topic, enough said in this thread.

I also hadn't realised the Humax code was available so it looks like I have a lot of reading to do - lucky I have a fair bit of experience delving into old large dark projects :-}
As far as I know the actual Humax source code isn't available, other than when required by open source compliance, but a small number of people have studied the machine code and have an understanding of how some of it works.

Back