Large Frequency Shift Tomorrow

peterpi

I get my Freeview from the Carmel transmitter, which is about fifteen miles due north of me. Tomorrow the Mux's move from, 60 to 23, 53 to 26, 57 to 29, 54 to 33, 58 to 36 and 49 to 48.

I've got a log periodic antenna so I hope it's got the bandwidth, 'caus that's a hell of a shift!

Last edited:
Admittedly we have higher power on the Waltham transmitter (I'm about 15 miles away from that), but we've managed with a pre-DSO aerial (intended for UHF 54-60something range) despite the muxes moving about all over the place. We have very low power ones on UHF 26 and 29, and higher power ones at 49, 54, 58. Even with the wrong aerial we are getting a good signal on all the muxes. I'm sure (but I wouldn't bet on it ;) ) that your log periodic will see you right.

Log periodics are wideband by design.

I used to have a log periodic mounted on a rotator many years ago, looking for analog DX TV during "lift" conditions. As you say the bandwidth was there but it did not have the gain of some other antennae I used.

Still, after a manual re-tune all is good.

I went for a Group AB Yagi here in Guildford in case I had problems with the preferred Crystal Palace Tx. Then they went and used C55 and C56 for Com7/8 which end up 15dB or so down from the rest (74 vs. 89%) due to the Yagi's upper rolloff.

With that kind of signal level it's not a actually a problem, but I'm still planning to use a 36-element log periodic when I move the mast from its current position to the side of the house it won't be as attactive to perching birds and their fallout.

Back