Leaky Batteries

You are better off with Rocket batteries, all of my Humax remote controls are still using the originally supplied Rocket batteries.

That reminds me I would like to get some more rechargeables to use in my Harmony 555 as it tends to eat through alkalines more quickly than your normal dumb remote.

Have you tried rechargeable alkalines? They don't survive as many recharge cycles as NiCd/NiMH, but they are supposed to have a lower self-discharge rate (and they come ready charged, so can be used straight out of the packet).

Update: subsequent discussion reveals that what I thought were rechargeable alkaline are actually low self-discharge NiMH types (also known as "hybrid"). Articles on Wikipedia indicate hybrids are easier to live with than rechargeable alkaline, which operate best with only shallow cycling (recharge after only 25% discharge).

Last edited:
So they are. Bloody small print on both the batteries themselves and the packet they came out of. I use the Uniross Hybrios in my mouse.

They are billed on the bubble pack as "the instant battery you can recharge", and I thought I was buying rechargeable alkaline.

For information: the bubble pack says they retain 80% charge after 6 months storage, 70% after 1 year.

I have been using Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop for some years. They are a similar low self-discharge NiMH that has been around since 2005.

I'm having a long-needed clear-out, and came across a stash of disused RC handsets (probably unused since 2010). Fearing the worst, I opened the battery compartments to find... not a single leaky battery.

The stars of the show appear to be a pair of OEM AAAs marked "HW hi-watt battery heavy duty" with no indication of chemistry (but most likely alkaline), which both still read 1.5V+ on my tester. They make it to my stock.

A pair of Energizer AAAs "use by 2015" read 1.35V each.

A pair of Maxell Super Power Ace AAAs read 1.35V each.

A pair of Kodak AAs didn't fare so well. One reads 1.35V, but the other only 0.65V off-load.

I have been using Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop for some years. They are a similar low self-discharge NiMH that has been around since 2005.
Me too, but it's so hard finding ones that aren't counterfeit, they are so good.

I also constantly have the problem that, say, I have 4 is something, but one goes dead before the others. My smart charger is so smart that below a certain voltage, it refuses to charge batteries, so I then have to resort to my dumb charger to boost them above that threshold.

Back