Locking up during update

Bob Moore

When my foxsat attempts to update it never completes.
During this time no recordings occur.
The only way to get out of this is to power off and on.
I have hummy firmware installed, are there any commands that can be used to cure the problem using that?

Attachments

• PSX_20191021_072619.jpg
    PSX_20191021_072619.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 27
Hi all

I've got exactly the same issue as the OP...but he didn't get a reply to his enquiry, so I'm bumping this post up, in the hope that someone might be able to give a solution.

(I'm using CF 4.1.3 and I cannot see a way of switching off the "update" function within the web interface of the FoxSat-HDR)

So any help would be gratefully received :)

I've got exactly the same issue as the OP...but he didn't get a reply to his enquiry, so I'm bumping this post up, in the hope that someone might be able to give a solution.
It seems unlikely to me. This looks like the default behaviour of the box, where custom firmware cannot intervene. It's not locking up attempting to update, it is searching for an update and not finding one.

In HDR-FOXland we can prevent our boxes searching for an update by scheduling a recording or reminder to span the critical time of 0430 - if it's busy at 0430 it won't look for an update.

It seems unlikely to me. This looks like the default behaviour of the box, where custom firmware cannot intervene. It's not locking up attempting to update, it is searching for an update and not finding one.

In HDR-FOXland we can prevent our boxes searching for an update by scheduling a recording or reminder to span the critical time of 0430 - if it's busy at 0430 it won't look for an update.

Hi

Many thanks for the message.

I agree - it seems to be the original firmware that is searching for an OTA update but it is not "timing out" properly when it doesn't find one. Which leaves the box "hanging" and requiring a full reboot - and as the OP said, any recording set to start any time after this update do not happen (as the box is essentially "locked up" in update mode).

However, I have 2 FoxSat HDR's, both have been updated with the CF but only one exhibits this issue. So I assumed that one had been set to not look for updates and the other was.

And having only seen that one person has asked about this on this forum (as far as I can tell) is this issue a sporadic problem and very few other people see it?

One other thing: If the update is set to begin at/around 0430, is that daily, weekly or monthly? As I see this box locking up maybe once every 3-4 months...so I don't know when to schedule a recording or reminder in order to prevent this happening. And it's not such a good idea to schedule a 2 minute recording at 0430 every day !!

TIA

One other thing: If the update is set to begin at/around 0430, is that daily, weekly or monthly? As I see this box locking up maybe once every 3-4 months...so I don't know when to schedule a recording or reminder in order to prevent this happening. And it's not such a good idea to schedule a 2 minute recording at 0430 every day !!
I was talking about HDR-FOX specifically, not FOXSAT, and a reminder is not a recording.

The solution is a Reminder set to cover the OTA search time which make the Humax busy with a higher priority task.

Hi

"I was talking about HDR-FOX specifically, not FOXSAT, and a reminder is not a recording."

Well, I know nothing about HDR-FOX as the OP was talking about FOXSAT and I said I had the same issue.

As for the reminder and recording not being the same....this I am aware of. :)

"The solution is a Reminder set to cover the OTA search time which make the Humax busy with a higher priority task."

That sounds the most logical approach so thanks for that...but I have no ideaon which day this should be set - obv the time would be 0430 - but when....everyday? ever third Wednesday of the month? Alternate Sundays when it's not raining?

That sounds the most logical approach so thanks for that...but I have no ideaon which day this should be set - obv the time would be 0430 - but when....everyday? ever third Wednesday of the month? Alternate Sundays when it's not raining?
I don't know for FOXSAT, but obviously for HDR-FOX it's daily. By ensuring it is busy at 0430 every day it is prevented from "doing its own thing" - hence we set a daily reminder for 0420 lasting 20 minutes. I offered this as an illustration of what you might be able to do to work around the problem, not what you can definitely do.

What you need to know (and what nobody seems to be supplying) is whether the FOXSAT can be protected from searches in the same way, what the critical time period is, and whether there are any ill effects of not letting it search (such as default authority getting out of date).

Where is raydon when you need him most?

Other than that, probably the best idea would be to try it and then report back with the results.

Where is raydon when you need him most?

Other than that, probably the best idea would be to try it and then report back with the results.

Yup - thanks for the info - the "lockup" occurs irregularly, so it might be a while before I can report back as to whether setting a reminder fixes the issue.

I guess if I've not replied to this thread in the next 6 months then any one else viewing can regard this as the "best fix" for the time being !

I don't know for FOXSAT, but obviously for HDR-FOX it's daily. By ensuring it is busy at 0430 every day it is prevented from "doing its own thing" - hence we set a daily reminder for 0420 lasting 20 minutes. I offered this as an illustration of what you might be able to do to work around the problem, not what you can definitely do.

What you need to know (and what nobody seems to be supplying) is whether the FOXSAT can be protected from searches in the same way, what the critical time period is, and whether there are any ill effects of not letting it search (such as default authority getting out of date).

Yup - appreciate this so thanks for replying. If it works then this "sort of fix" is at least a step in the right direction... :)

Update:

Using the normal EPG > Schedule option on the Foxsat, I've set a manual "Watch" setting for "04:20-04:40" daily on one random channel...

BUT: Looking at the "Help" on this particular function, I found the following about setting the "Watch" reminder:

You will be notified on screen that the programme is about to start and can confirm or cancel the reservation
If confirmed by the user you will be changed to the channels the programme is on
If there is no user select you will be changed to the channel automatically after 10 seconds

So, in principle, if this "Watch" function is not confirmed, the Foxsat will change to the requested channel automatically, 10 seconds after the prompt appears on screen - so that would be at 04:20:10.

This probably means that the box will just be switched to a channel (ie not recording) at the "UPDATE" time of 04:30 - UNLESS by being "switched on" between these times, the UPDATE function will not take place? (As mentioned above, maybe "watching" a channel takes priority over any "UPDATE" command from the box firmware?).

I will report back after a few days and advise if this works !!

The function used on the T2 does not record between the allotted times. So presumably, your assumption of 'watching' takes preference over update seems correct

So, in principle, if this "Watch" function is not confirmed, the Foxsat will change to the requested channel automatically, 10 seconds after the prompt appears on screen - so that would be at 04:20:10.

This probably means that the box will just be switched to a channel (ie not recording) at the "UPDATE" time of 04:30 - UNLESS by being "switched on" between these times, the UPDATE function will not take place? (As mentioned above, maybe "watching" a channel takes priority over any "UPDATE" command from the box firmware?).
Understand that it is not the action of changing channel which prevents an HDR-FOX performing an update search, but the fact that it has a user-scheduled task. Any task. A "reminder" (or in your case the terminology "watch" appears to be equivalent) is the choice simply because it is less destructive than "record".

10 seconds after the prompt appears on screen - so that would be at 04:20:10.
I believe the prompt appears before the scheduled time, and the switch would occur at the scheduled time.

Back