Lost Land of the Volcanos - No Speech track

Ezra Pound

There is a very strange thing happening with a BBC 4 HD programme currently being transmitted (22:00 to 23:00 Thurs 16JAN2014), it has a sound track of background noise - waterfalls, backing music etc. but no sound track of the presenters voices, very strange. Not sure if this fault is only happening in my area (Sutton Coldfield transmitter), I am recording it just out of curiosity, subtitles can be displaying for the missing speech. Anyone else witnessed this?
EDIT
this problem is only on LCN 106, the SD version on LCN 9 is O.K.

A guy on AVforums has come up with a very plausible explanation, he says C4HD have been known to assign the rear left and right of a DD5.1 soundtrack to the front left and right which gives a background only soundtrack with no speech

That makes sense. I have had occurrences in the past when I used to have surround sound, were I would get the speech coming from the rear speakers, not the front. It only happened a couple if times but it was really weirded. It was long before the 'new' HD channels. I couldn't be sure if it was a broadcaster issue or my own equipment.

Back