Lost network access

That is strange. No idea why that should be. Perhaps one of the gurus can explain it?
I get situations with HomePlugs where they are all working together but refuse to connect to my router. You need to understand that they are not just a simple replacement for a wire - they operate as an autonomous network and transport information from node to node as required. If one unit goes tits up the others carry on quite happily, and if it's the one that happens to be connected to the router then you have a network operating in isolation.

I've not found it necessary to reconfigure the HomePlugs to resolve a problem, all I have found it necessary to do is reboot the one that's gone down - if I lose touch with one HD/HDR I reboot that HomePlug, or if I lose touch with all HDs/HDRs I reboot the HomePlug attached to the router (and more often than not that's the one that loses contact, even though I have swapped them around, and usually when I am downloading to PC by SMB - so it must be a bug making them crash). The Devolos I use now have proved much more reliable than the cheaper ones I had before (which eventually failed completely).

And I'm grateful for the help, though a little disappointed at the negatives surrounding how I described the problem.
I'm sorry about that, but your HomePlug network was a pretty big elephant (and as I have commented before, this isn't a kindergarten). You really did start (and stop) looking at the wrong end, and took actions without any evidence.

Last edited:
Who knows? These things are all microprocessor based, so anything can go wrong in any combination - especially if the code is multi-threaded. However, one needs to be sceptical:

At least one other device is using the same three port TP-Link homeplug as the Humax I first noticed was problematic.

But... I've just checked a Humax Freesat HDR 1100S and it, too, is not connecting.
but missed just the one aspect which didn't cross my mind as other devices on the homeplug in question were still functioning.

I'm sorry about that, but your HomePlug network was a pretty big elephant...
I had a fiver for every time the solution to a support issue was something that wasn't mentioned until you'd exhausted all other possibilities, usually because the supportee didn't think it was relevant to the problem...

And I'm grateful for the help, though a little disappointed at the negatives surrounding how I described the problem. I had tried very hard to provide what I thought was a complete picture but missed just the one aspect which didn't cross my mind as other devices on the homeplug in question were still functioning.

I can only assume that prpr and blackhole are just a little upset that neither of them thought to ask you how the humax was connected to the network... thank god for Martin eh ;)

I can only assume that prpr and blackhole are just a little upset that neither of them thought to ask you how the humax was connected to the network...
I'm not upset that I didn't think to ask something. So many times do I see questions on forums that someone's having problems with something and then they expect others to be mind-readers and work out from almost zero information how something is connected up. You don't really stand a chance.
Posters should try putting themselves at the point of view of potential responders when writing their messages, yet so many fail to do so (and yes, I've been guilty of this also sometimes).

So many times do I see questions on forums that someone's having problems with something and then they expect others to be mind-readers
Yes, on car forums it's usually along the lines of "My car won't start. What is the problem? Help!". :rolleyes:

So many times do I see questions on forums that someone's having problems with something and then they expect others to be mind-readers
Not just on forums. I've lost count of the number of times people have expected me to be a mind reader and turn up to or make an appointement for something I didn't know about. How can I turn up if you don't tell me? How can I make an appointment for something I don't know about if you don't let me know that you want an appointment? :mad:
Yes, on car forums it's usually along the lines of "My car won't start. What is the problem? Help!".
Try visiting your GP or hospital and just say you feel ill. :sick: A little bit more information is needed! ;)

Back