Media mistakes

Surely people will be informed of any major national incident needing them to take immediate action by BBC4LW radio?

The phone lines are down, remember?

Try and call a neighbour to go check?
Note the word try in my post. A lot of phone (or fibre) lines are underground, but even an overhead line to one house can be taken out without affecting anyone else.

So the neighbours line may still be working, in which case they can be asked to check on the target. If the neighbours can't be contacted then further action is needed, like:-
Go round there themselves?

Note the word try in my post. A lot of phone (or fibre) lines are underground, but even an overhead line to one house can be taken out without affecting anyone else.

So the neighbours line may still be working, in which case they can be asked to check on the target. If the neighbours can't be contacted then further action is needed, like:-
You clearly forgot that we're talking of the future in 3 years. All lines are digital so can't call neighbours. The lines can be through space if you want but if the power is down they won't work, not even the space ones.
Now your elderly relative without a mobile has an accident, how do they call 999 ? Never mind you calling them.

All lines are digital so can't call neighbours.
What?

Now your elderly relative without a mobile has an accident, how do they call 999 ? Never mind you calling them.

Considering all your responses so far I think you have completely missed (accidentally or otherwise) the point of what I was suggesting. I can't be arsed to try and spell it out to you, so try to understand the post you originally jumped on:-
( * I wonder if there is or will be a monitor that can ping a remote router to check it's alive and alarm if there is a problem? So a contact who lives some way away would know when (eg) granny has probably lost her phone connection.)

:bye:

Spotted this illustration above a DT Saturday article on list-making from 18 November '23 - I was using the paper to protect something hence the wrinkles.
Looks like they gave up on world peace.
DT_lists_181123.jpg

There was a (rubbish) sci-fi film on TPTV the other day made in 1962 but set in 2001 (I think). World peace, world run by the UN. That went well!
Biggest laugh was the pronunciation of Uranus: ure (as in Midge) - are - nus. Any excuse not to say anus!

I recall (unless it was a cheese dream) an episode of the Two Ronnies with Barker playing Patrick Moore's brother and discoursing on how silly people were about the pronunciation of Uranus when "I've just received some exciting news about the discovery of a new planet, named Boomholly"... camera switches to sky chart where said new planet is proudly displayed as "Bumhole".

Back in the Angus Deayton days there was an episode of HIGNFY where a photo of a container ship was shown with stern bearing the name "Titan Uranus".

Spotted this illustration above a DT Saturday article on list-making from 18 November '23 - I was using the paper to protect something hence the wrinkles.
Looks like they gave up on world peace.
View attachment 6946
I used to work with someone who's desk was covered with post-it notes. He then got sent on a Time Management course and he removed all the post-its and replaced them with a single post-it saying CHECK TIME MANAGER! :D

American reporter for the BBC on the total eclipse: "...astrological phenomenon...". I don't think so!

And in another piece about Lincoln widening their car park spaces, a "Transit" van was actually a Merc.

I'm sure some astrologer predicted the eclipse. But that would be total BS.
You never know, Americans (or maybe only that American) think that astrologers are what we know as astronomers. I've a feeling some British citizens don't know the difference either.

Where to go for unbiased and accurate news these days? BBC News has gone down the toilet with so many mistakes and second rate journalists/presenters. GBN and Talk TV - :rolling: , Al Jazeera - no thanks, or Sky News?

Back