Media mistakes

The use of a hyphen seems to lead to a totally reprehensible butchery of the English as she are spoke omission, as in "in store" - "In-store" - "Instore" How bleeding hard is to to hit the space bar?

The use of a hyphen seems to lead to a totally reprehensible butchery of the English as she are spoke omission, as in "in store" - "In-store" - "Instore" How bleeding hard is to to hit the space bar?
There are in-store reductions

but

There are reductions in store

The right and left arrows step through a recording on the HDR-FOX in centiles.
On the Aura, the step functions behave as on other boxes, usually 1 min. on, 10 sec. back.

Except, if you press the up arrow first, you get 10 sec. both ways. You also get thumbnails at 10 sec. intervals

That is what a lecturer is called in the USA.
I think we may have adopted that system. Just checked my old University and they don't have lecturers, senior lecturers and readers any more. It's now assistant professor, associate professor and professor. I remember having an argument with my father many years ago when I was 20 ish. My cousin of a similar age was, according to my father, a professor. It would have been nearly impossible to be a professor at that age then here. Maybe an assistant professor in the US. It was likely he'd moved to the US (I can't really remember). But that was good enough for my father. So-and-so is a professor!

According to the BBC news, K2 has temperatures as high as -60°C.

That tops "up to 50% off" for me.

From the Mail online this morning:

And in the distance, the aurora australis can be shinning from the horizon.

The Mail again this morning:

Fury at Emmanuel Macron for claiming AstraZeneca vaccine is 'almost ineffective' on over-65s despite EU just giving it the green light and Brussels calmouring for supplies​

The main issue I have with the Mail is how they star-rate their daily Kurosu puzzle. It goes from one to three stars, and I can only think it is in reverse: today's three-star took no thought at all (counting and easy inference - see below); two-star days tend to be harder!

The object is to complete the 6x6 grid with X's and O's, so that all rows and all columns contain exactly three X's and three O's, and there are no horizontal or vertical runs of three adjacent X's or O's.

Counting: if there are already three X's in a row or column, you know the rest must all be O's (and vice versa).

Easy Inference: if there are two X's adjacent in a row or column with an adjacent blank, the blank can be filled with an O (and vice versa).

Easy Inference: if there is an X _ X, the blank must be an O (and vice versa).

Harder Inference: X _ _ _ _ X must become X O _ _ O X (and vice versa); X X O _ _ _ must become X X O _ _ O (and vice versa); X _ _ _ X _ must become X _ _ _ X O (and vice versa).

I'm not certain I've covered every possible situation, but I don't think there's anything more complicated to a Kurosu than that - it's only a case of being observant, and in the worst case realising the logic I've listed as "harder inference".

Last edited:
The Times often gets ratings wrong, too. I reckon these puzzles are computer generated. The Thursday Difficult Kenken is usually easy, the Monday Easy one often impossible.

I am sure these puzzles are bought in.

Back