Media mistakes

If it's done on a phone or tablet then the auto-spell/correct is often very unhelpful too.

But that example's not a media mistake, just a normal user.

As brake is a correct spelling, it wouldn't be picked up anyway. Ok, it's not a media mistake, ( but normal user?)
Have correspondents forgotten how to check what they've written before posting?

It is when auto-correct does its thing after you have finished typing and proof-reading but as you post that annoys the hell out of me. 😒

When I was on car forums, the plebs there would equally spell "break" when they meant the other! This isn't a case of a simple error, it's a case of the new generation not even being aware there are two spellings according to context.

Apparently something happened "on the weekend" in Australia according to The Mail OnLine.

Well that is an oddity of the variability of normal usage: "at the weekend"; "on Saturday"; "in the week".

The in/on/at confusion reminds me: Buses around here when not running properly say "Not in service" on the destination board(s). There are some old photographs from this area showing buses "Not on service". "On service" doesn't sound right to me. "On the weekend" sounds like an American influence.

"35 ml of rain" - that's just 7 teaspoonsful. It's been corrected now.

The headline had me do a double-take - I read "downpours" as a verb.

Yes, it's a subtle one that. I had to find the current BBC page and compare to realise it said millilitres not millimetres. Oops. I read what I expected to read, not what was there!

The second mistake is very subtle, and one for BH to investigate.

Cancel at anytime

Yep. "Anytime" does not mean the same as "any time". The daft thing is that I am seeing examples of this class of error frequently - not just the omission of a space, but also the insertion of a space.

It's the age-old problem: people are no longer reading, so they are not used to how words are supposed to look and they no longer know how to write (or rely on dumb spell checkers... but "speical"?).

Funnily enough, leave out at and it is correct.

Speical seems to indicate nobody even read it through.

This one doesn't quite fit the bill, the Humax TV guide app, where you choose your date.
Screenshot_20210104-224739.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This one doesn't quite fit the bill, the Humax TV guide app, where you choose your date.
I didn't know Humax did dating applications. How was your date?

As this is the "Media Spelling Mistakes" thread, I'm looking for a spelling mistake. What am I missing?

Well, I got locked into a box with a radioactive isotope and cyanide. Luckily I had electronic skills to disable the mechanism and rig it to poison whoever it was that locked me in, as soon as they re-open the box.

Apparently, a century ago, they tried it on a cat.🙀 When they opened the box, the cat was dead, of starvation. Sooo, this time they have provided me with thousands of ACORNS!

Oh, and it spells another cockup by Humax.

Back