MediaTomb and VLC

geordie

Hi

I am looking into streaming recording on my Humax Fox T2. I have installed the mediatomb package and I have VLC. I don't know anything about streaming!

When I go into mediatomb it allows me to select all files - but all I need are TS ones as these are the recording. So I add the TS files to the mediatomb database.

When I go into VLC I select Universal Plug 'n' play - but nothing shows.

I have not done any additional configuration.

What do I need to do to get this to work - am I doing it right?

Thanks
:)

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Why are you using Mediatomb - do you have an HD-FOX as opposed to an HDR-FOX? If the former, you won't get very far because the recordings are encrypted. If the latter, you don't need Mediatomb - just turn on the native DLNA service using Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON.

Regarding encryption, see Things Every... (click) section 5.

OP
G

geordie

Why are you using Mediatomb - do you have an HD-FOX as opposed to an HDR-FOX? If the former, you won't get very far because the recordings are encrypted. If the latter, you don't need Mediatomb - just turn on the native DLNA service using Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON.

Regarding encryption, see Things Every... (click) section 5.
thanks for the info. I will do this.

TBH: I was just looking down the package list and saw it. I read what it did so thought it was offered because it was better than any in-built one. I am happy to use the normal one.

Any idea how I get rid of it - it is not appearing in the packages. I can disable it from auto starting up but its just clutter.

MymsMan

Ad detector
Any idea how I get rid of it - it is not appearing in the packages. I can disable it from auto starting up but its just clutter.
It is classified as an advanced package - so make sure you are displaying the full list (button at top right of package list)

Black Hole

TBH: I was just looking down the package list and saw it. I read what it did so thought it was offered because it was better than any in-built one. I am happy to use the normal one.
It's there to provide DLNA where it isn't provided as standard (HD-FOX and, in the co-development, FOXSAT-HDR), or where some specific functionality is missing (eg the ability to stream file types not supported by the native server). The main drawback of an add-on server is that it will require the content to have been pre-decrypted, whereas the native server decrypts on the fly (which is how the CF performs decryption in the first place).

OP
G

geordie

It's there to provide DLNA where it isn't provided as standard (HD-FOX and, in the co-development, FOXSAT-HDR), or where some specific functionality is missing (eg the ability to stream file types not supported by the native server). The main drawback of an add-on server is that it will require the content to have been pre-decrypted, whereas the native server decrypts on the fly (which is how the CF performs decryption in the first place).
Thanks I have done all of that.

I can see some files on windows media player but nothing in VLC - so not sure why VLC isn't working. Any ideas? This is a VLC question.

Windows media player cannot play them but that is probably a config /codec thing - I would rather use VLC.

Also, a lot of my stuff is on USB so I guess I need to use the package which allows all the usb drives to be accessed from my video. Is that right?

Black Hole

I can see some files on windows media player but nothing in VLC - so not sure why VLC isn't working. Any ideas? This is a VLC question.
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/setting-up-wired-network-help-hdr-fox-freeview.5059/page-8#post-65074

Also, a lot of my stuff is on USB so I guess I need to use the package which allows all the usb drives to be accessed from my video. Is that right?
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/mvdisks-behaviour.3218/