Moving Recordings between two Humax Machines

escat

Is it possible to move recordings directly between two Humax Machines using SSH/SFTP (with dropbear-ssh and greenend-sftp)? But I've no objections if someone recommends a much simpler (and hopefully faster) way of doing it. Thanks

Is it possible to move recordings directly between two Humax Machines using SSH/SFTP (with dropbear-ssh and greenend-sftp)?
Yes, but it's quite slow. CPU-bound rather than I/O-bound.
But I've no objections if someone recommends a much simpler (and hopefully faster) way of doing it.
Standard FTP is faster, but not quite as simple.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes, but it's quite slow. CPU-bound rather than I/O-bound.
I realised that it would be slow, but I couldn't even get it to work. The problem seemed to be that the sftp command didn't seem to accept the private key in the .ssh/authorized_keys directory.

Standard FTP is faster, but not quite as simple.
Is that using betaftpd (which I haven't used before), or some other FTP client-server?

Is that using betaftpd
betaftpd is the CF alternative to the standard built-in FTP server, yes. To use it the (flaky and restricted) standard service must be turned off:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = OFF

Is it possible to move recordings directly between two Humax Machines
...that's a different matter. To use the FTP server on each machine, you're going to be using a third device as an FTP client and pull down the recording from one then pushing it up to the other. I'm not aware of there being an FTP client within the CF.

What's needed is File Exchange Protocol (FXP), where a third machine could command a transfer between two other machines, but I'm not aware of that being available.

I know little of dropbear-ssh and greenend-sftp, but with encryption involved it's sure to be slow (unless thay can be used for straight FTP). The way I would do it is by network file sharing, either NFS (nfs-utils) or SMB (samba + cifs). With one machine's storage mounted into the file system of the other, the options for copying files from place to place become almost endless.

If this is a one-off, honestly it's quicker to use sneakernet (walking it across with a USB drive) than faff around trying to set up (reliable) electronic transfer. If this is required more regularly, perhaps you could explain what you are trying to achieve – there is often more than one way of skinning a cat. If all you want to do is play the recording from one machine using another (on the same network), we've got that covered.

I presume you are aware of the recordings being encrypted, and therefore unplayable on another machine, without intervention.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of there being an FTP client within the CF
There certainly is. I asked, and af123 obliged.
Code:
humax ~ # opkg list|grep ftp
betaftpd - 0.0.8pre17-5 - BetaFTPD is a single-threaded FTP daemon, making it very fast
greenend-sftp - 1.0 - SFTP Server plugin.
tnftp - 20151004-3 - tnftp is a port of the NetBSD FTP client to other systems.
The problem seemed to be that the sftp command didn't seem to accept the private key in the .ssh/authorized_keys directory.
Don't have time or energy to try this now, but I just use scp or rsync rather than S(FTP) most of the time.
Is that using betaftpd (which I haven't used before), or some other FTP client-server?
Yes, betaftpd on one side, and tnftp (ftp) on the other.

Recordings would need to be decrypted to be playable on the second humax machine.
If they are not already decrypted you could use wget or curl on the target machine to copy and decrypt the recordings at the same time. However you would need to know the DLNA URL for each file which would probably require writing a script if you have a largish number of recordings to process.

Thanks to you both for very helpful answers.

OK, full disclosure: I have to confess that my question was at least as much one of intellectual curiosity (aka play) as it was of dire necessity. I have installed dropbear-ssh and greenend-sftp as part of improving my external security. The limited information that I could find out about these packages led me to believe that one could perform client-server transfers either way between two Humax machines. So I tried it. So far I've failed to get them to agree on the location of the required keys. Hence the question.

It would be convenient to move recordings in this way, but - as has been pointed out - the encryption overhead would outweigh any real benefit. (Though it might provide a convenient way of moving the much smaller files of my own code from one machine to another). But it seems from the above that the combination of betaftpd and tnftp might fill this role nicely? Could they both be installed on both machines, and do the transfer either way? (Another piece of intellectual curiosity!) Presumably, they would also permit the moving of files outside the "My Video" structure?

Could they both be installed on both machines, and do the transfer either way?
I don't see why not - there will be no confusion, because one makes FTP requests and the other services them. The particular server won't be confused because they are at separate IP addresses. Obviously you would need to operate tnftp on the command line, so it's not exactly user-friendly, whereas at least the same level of convenience can be achieved (on the command line) with a mounted external file system and the cp command.

Presumably, they would also permit the moving of files outside the "My Video" structure?
There are many ways to do that. It's only the built-in Humax facilities (including the FTP server) which are restricted to My Video / My Music / My Photo and recognised media file types. You can do anything you like form the Telnet / Webshell command line using the Linux commands cp (copy), mv (move), ls (list directory), mkdir (create directory) etc.

WebIF >> Browse Media Files can be used as a GUI for file management (media files only), or what I do is access my Humii as NAS mounts from my PC's file manager - and then it's drag'n'drop (just inhibited by my slow and flaky home network)!

I have installed dropbear-ssh and greenend-sftp as part of improving my external security.
Why? Do you interact with your units via the external Internet?

Last edited:
Recordings would need to be decrypted to be playable on the second humax machine.
Sorry, I've only just seen this. The recordings are already decrypted. I have now managed to move files using wget from one machine to another, but using the inbuilt ftp server protocols, rather than DLNA. I was interested in finding out if there was a less fiddly way than that.

Why? Do you interact with your units via the external Internet?

Well, I'm afraid that takes us back to 'intellectual curiosity' - sorry. I wanted to use remote scheduling, which started me thinking more about security... and one thing led to another.

I'd still like to know whether the SSH/SFTP difficulty with key locations that I am encountering is something fundamental, or just down to my ignorance. Any insight would be appreciated. But otherwise, I've been given enough helpful insights to sate my curiosity on file movements in general. Many thanks to you all.

I wanted to use remote scheduling, which started me thinking more about security...
Just to assure other readers: the RS service does not actively poll our HDR-FOXes, the rs package running on the HDR-FOX accesses RS periodically to upload status and check for instructions to download. This means all activity is initiated from the LAN side of the router and does not require any open ports for accesses initiated from the wild-west WAN side, and the router rejects incoming speculative probes.

I'd still like to know whether the SSH/SFTP difficulty with key locations that I am encountering is something fundamental, or just down to my ignorance. Any insight would be appreciated.
I can't help you there, hopefully somebody with the right experience will come along and add to the collective wisdom.

Just to assure other readers: the RS service does not actively poll our HDR-FOXes, the rs package running on the HDR-FOX accesses RS periodically to upload status and check for instructions to download. This means all activity is initiated from the LAN side of the router and does not require any open ports for accesses initiated from the wild-west WAN side, and the router rejects incoming speculative probes.
Absolutely - yes. Sorry that I could have been read otherwise. It was realising that rs had been implemented in such a way as to avoid any security concerns, that caused me to think much more deeply about my whole set-up.

Presumably with a network file share mount?
No. You just copy a file from source to destination (usually one is a local path and the other is in the form "a.b.c.d:/path", depending on the direction of travel). Of course you need to set up the keys and stuff first if you want an easy life thereafter.

FWIW, I can't get the greenend client to do anything useful at all, and there seems to be s*d all documentation. The server seems OK (using a real Linux client).

I guess daft stuff like this doesn't help the cause:
[pid 11845] open("//.ssh/id_dropbear", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Looks like there's a missing "mod" there for whatever reason. And I can't see how you set the identity file manually.

No. You just copy a file from source to destination (usually one is a local path and the other is in the form "a.b.c.d:/path", depending on the direction of travel).
OK, I didn't realise rsync (or whatever) had to be running at both ends.

If you don't want the overhead of ssh encryption then is is possible to run an {i}rsync[/i} daemon at one end of the connection. The possible disadvantage is that it allows copying of files without any authentication.

Edit: A basic authentication is now supported.

Last edited:
The .ssh/authorized_keys file should contain public keys.
Oops! You're absolutely right, of course. Sorry about the slip - I'm still new to this game.

Looks like there's a missing "mod" there for whatever reason. And I can't see how you set the identity file manually.
I think that's the problem that I ran into. I think it might be expressed as: "How can the private key generated by dropbear in the client Humax be accessed so that the SFTP extension can use it in its SSH connection to the Humax server?" Is that right?

If so, I wonder whether the latest release of dropbear might have a fix? The Humax package is built from release 2018.76-1. According to this website, the latest release, 2022.82, contains the following commentary:

#$HOME variable is used before /etc/passwd when expanding paths such as ~/.ssh/id_dropbear (for the client). Patch from Matt Robinson

and the following code:

/* A default argument for dbclient -i <privatekey>.
* Homedir is prepended if path begins with ~/
*/
#define DROPBEAR_DEFAULT_CLI_AUTHKEY "~/.ssh/id_dropbear"

I'm not expert enough to judge, whether this will fix the above problem, but it seems to be in the right area. If it is the problem, do we have any access to the pre-compiled version of the Humax dropbear-ssh package, or any other way of getting an updated version?

On the client Humax you should be able to specify the location of the file containing the private key using the -i option to ssh or in the options to sftp.
e.g.
Code:
sftp -o IdentityFile=/mod/etc/.ssh/id_blah root@a.b.c.d

Back