My new T2

amjl2000

I have spent a week with my new HDr-T2 1TB - £223 new. I decided against the YV box for the next couple of years.

Things I like:
easy copy of programmes to ext-hdd.
access of programmes over the network (tried last night on my tablet.. Twonky was not good - as read elsewhere - but 'MediaHouse' app works well)
Folders for series programmes
iPlayer works! (have had troubles with my sony hardware, there's an issue between sony and talktalk with iplayer streaming)
Possibility of using custom firmware for remote recordings.

Things I don't like:
Cannot reorder channels in the main list (e.g. move 4hd to replace 4).
HDD activity is a bit noisy. I have put box on foam pads which does make a difference, but still not perfect. I read about issues with noisy 1tb units, but being winter the heating makes more noise so less noticeable again.
It has locked up once, and also rebooted itself once (not including twonky issues). The 9200 did it, but i can't remember the last time it happened!
Default media order is date, not Alpha - this is a pain for user media not recorded by the hummy. Could do with a metadata tag for a folder that stores sort order on folders (and subfolders)

Question:
Media server - can it only access files on the internal hdd, or is there a way to see the external drives?
If I created a folder called 'Kids TV' and move appropriate folders of recordings there, will I have to manually move any new recordings? If so, is it possible to do this remotely?

Great site btw, lots of information!

I have spent a week with my new HDr-T2 1TB - £223 new. I decided against the YV box for the next couple of years.

Things I don't like:
Cannot reorder channels in the main list (e.g. move 4hd to replace 4).

Yes you can - there's a custom firmware package called Renumber (Click Here for the Wiki) otherwise you can set Favourites through the standard on screen menus (but I don't think that's quite what you want unlike Renumber which is).

Media server - can it only access files on the internal hdd, or is there a way to see the external drives?
There is a custom firmware package "mvdisks" which makes the external drive(s) appear under "My Video". The media server will then "see" the drives.

Thanks all, I have put the custom firmware on, and using mediatomb as the media server I am able to access the usb hdd without additional packages. Way hay.
Now I have to learn about what I have just installed! tyvm :)

Back