My poor little Hummy is sick

Kitten

Tonight, totally random and out of character my little Hummy started Freezing and going to a black screen :( I rebooted it, and it seemed alright for about 20 mins, and then the same thing happened. I've rebooted it at least three times, but it still freezes randomly. Luckily I've just bought a second unit and am awaiting its arrival. It's not related to any channel ( they all do it) its got CFW 3.00 installed. Is there any point in upgrading the firmware? Another fault it has sometimes is failing to record by the schedule. Any help would be gratefully received.

It is certainly worth upgrading to the latest custom firmware (3.13) and running the fixdisk package to check for and resolve any disk errors
Also upgrade other webif packages to the latest level if they are downlevel

An update. The other half tried it again today and the front panel was indicating "TOO Hot" The fan was not running. After taking the lid off he cleaned the fan which was clogged up and then fiddled with the fan setting in CFW setting it to 50% after that the fan started and it now runs about 34 degrees, in the meantime, the second-hand unit we bought for £50 arrived so he's got that working. Fingers crossed the original one might be ok now. we did buy a new hummy last year but the EPG and whole menu was a nightmare lol, so it got taken back lol.

After taking the lid off he cleaned the fan which was clogged up and then fiddled with the fan setting in CFW setting it to 50% after that the fan started and it now runs about 34 degrees.
AAMIO which way does the fan blow air and how are the RF sockets arranged - horizontally or vertically?

AAMIO which way does the fan blow air and how are the RF sockets arranged - horizontally or vertically?

The sockets are horizontal, as for the fan I think its sucking air in, the new hummy has a label on the fan I can see but our original one doesn't seem to have one, my OH says he's sure the label is by the HDD end.

The original units have aerial in and out sockets aligned vertically horizontally and a fan that exhausts rather than intakes. I need to update my info because I had not accounted for fans that are on the intake side.

Last edited:
The original units have aerial in and out sockets aligned vertically and a fan that exhausts rather than intakes. I need to update my info because I had not accounted for fans that are on the intake side.

So, is the fan the wrong way round Mr BH? if so I will blame my OH and put him in the doghouse

No, you have the newer unit with a fan that is fitted so it blows into the box. The jury is out on whether that is a good idea, I say no. It's easy to turn around, but you take your choice.

No, you have the newer unit with a fan that is fitted so it blows into the box. The jury is out on whether that is a good idea, I say no. It's easy to turn around, but you take your choice.

Maybe 2 fans, one sucking air in and one expelling it would be a good mod.

Most important is to have a working fan and have the fan package

After that it probably makes little difference which way it is blowing

The original units have aerial in and out sockets aligned vertically and a fan that exhausts rather than intakes. I need to update my info because I had not accounted for fans that are on the intake side.
Nope - the original units have the aerial/RF connectors aligned horizontally - they used two separate tuner modules. Later ones used a single module with the connectors aligned vertically.

The sockets are horizontal, as for the fan I think its sucking air in, the new hummy has a label on the fan I can see but our original one doesn't seem to have one, my OH says he's sure the label is by the HDD end.
That's interesting. Label in means it's blowing air in, which was how the later units with vertically-arranged RF connectors were built.

I asked as I wondered if the change to blowing air in was made while the earlier version was in production, which would reinforce the view that it's the better direction.

Maybe 2 fans, one sucking air in and one expelling it would be a good mod.
No need. Just the one fan blowing inwards and the Fan package installed set to 50% seems to do the trick.

Doing some temperature measurements with the various options (air in/out plus my mod of cutting a slot in the HDD carrier to direct air over the main SoC/IC) has been on the to do list for some time now.

Most important is to have a working fan and have the fan package
Agreed.
After that it probably makes little difference which way it is blowing
Presumably it makes enough of a difference for Humax to change to blowing air in on later units plus the DTR-T1000 - I'll see if I can get around to doing some temperature measurements later this week.

Nope - the original units have the aerial/RF connectors aligned horizontally - they used two separate tuner modules. Later ones used a single module with the connectors aligned vertically.
Quite right, mental aberration on my part. Odd that an 'old' unit has the fan blowing inwards - maybe somebody changed it (or, maybe, it was a lottery in production).

Presumably it makes enough of a difference for Humax to change to blowing air in on later units plus the DTR-T1000 - I'll see if I can get around to doing some temperature measurements later this week.
The problem is whether the most important bits are cooler according to direction of flow. The 'system' temperature is read from the HDD, but the HDD is easy to replace and the main board is not. The PSU is also a not-so-easy-to-replace item. Another question is which air flow is best for dust accumulation.

I asked as I wondered if the change to blowing air in was made while the earlier version was in production, which would reinforce the view that it's the better direction.
Perhaps someone who's HDR-FOX T2 has horizontal tuners and a high serial number could check. I've got one whose serial number starts 710 5763 but it is mothballed (as a backup) and hard to get at at the moment. MountysEvilTwin may have a slightly newer off the production line with a serial number 710 follwed by 5826 or perhaps 6012.
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/maplin-bargain.5225/page-3#post-67367

All mine have horizontal sockets and the fan label on the outside, including my cold spare 63710563000654.

Back