My stupid mistake

hugheke

Hi all. I had my tv working well with an aerial booster. Got my Humax fox 2 out of storage (just moved house) and connected the aerial to the IN socket, and the OUT socket to the tv. BUT I forgot that the booster power supply was there! So thsupply was between the Hummy OUT and the tv aerial socket. I have no signal at all via the Hummy - tv says No Signal. (But all still works ok as originally connected without Hummy) .
Have I blown the Humax up?
p.s. I don't know if Humax aerial power is on or off, and as I can get no image at all, I can't get to the menu

Tried HDMI no joy. Humax display looks normal. The selected channel or Settings. It just look s like no video output.
Thanks MymsMan

Does it even flicker when you turn the humax on/off
have you tried other hdmi cables and ports, another TV - it is worth trying every possible combination

When I have the time i will try all combinations, but I think I have damaged it with the antenna power supply being connected.

I doubt it, I am no expert, the antenna power should be too low to cause problems and should be a situation the Humax should be designed to cope with

It's not obvious why phantom antenna power inappropriately applied to an RF socket should knock out the HDMI (what about SCART?), but it is difficult to legislate for what happens in any and all failure modes.

That said, I'm with MymsMan - it is not unlikely that somebody somewhere will insert a PVR upstream of a phantom power source, and it ought to have been designed not to fail in those circumstances.

It is also a possibility that the OP's circumstances are coincidental.

It's not obvious to me what the actual problem is. The OP has not exactly been explicit. All the posts are full of waffly ambiguous terminology.

For a starters, you could clarify whether You have tried the SCART connection as suggested.

Should have said earlier, no SCART connector on my TV. Antenna, HDMI and USB only. No signal to TV antenna or HDMI.

Do you mean no signal from the HDMI or the aerial feedthrough to the TV.
Let's estabish this. Aerial to Hummy IN, patch from Hummy OUT to TV, do you get a 'normal' TV signal from the aerial?

Try the FoxT2 with another TV?
I have a booster/splitter before the PVR and have had no problems in eight years.

I have a booster/splitter before the PVR and have had no problems in eight years.
The OP has accidentally connected his booster feed after the PVR, so it was backfeeding power into the PVR aerial output. This seems to have done more harm than might be expected.

Yup, I got that, that's why I wrote before. I know it wasn't overly useful but it was early in the morning and it was still dark! :(

All is now ok guys, many thanks! Seems somehow the fuse blew in the antenna power supply (??). fixed that, connected it properly between antenna adn hummy aerial IN - all now ok watching via HDMI. :)

So how were you getting a signal to the TV via a then unpowered aerial 'booster' (post #1)?

All is now ok guys, many thanks! Seems somehow the fuse blew in the antenna power supply (??). fixed that, connected it properly between antenna adn hummy aerial IN - all now ok watching via HDMI. :)
That does not explain why you were getting nothing from the HDMI before. Even with no aerial input, you should have got something on-screen (albeit not a TV picture)! It appears we were led up the garden path, which resulted in unsuitable advice (garbage in, garbage out).

Back