Network Connection Problem

Peter H

Hi,

I am having a problem connecting to the webpage via an ethernet cable and have a couple of questions on how the box functions.

My network consists of a TP link router to my vdsl ISP and under floor cabling from upstairs to the living room and into a 4 port switch near the the Humax. The lights on the sockets work (not sure if both are lit) and the Humax was working OK.

I just checked the network settings (DHCP) and there is no lan IP. Checked the router and there is no wired connection!
When I go to the network settings the wireless is greyed out, is this controlled by the physical insertion of the cable or by electronics monitoring the signal?

FWIW I have previously checked cables and thought I had found a cable faulty.

I have set up the wireless, does the Humax detect the cable is not inserted and "Ungreys" the network wireless setting and picks up my previous configuration?

I will do some more checks later today.

I am now wondering if this might be causing my remote to be slow as it is trying to connect to the router and the CPU is being worked hard!!
(clutching straws now)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand what you're getting at.
  1. MENU >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure Wi-Fi is only available if you plug in a USB WiFi dongle, and you need a particular type of dongle (specific obsolete chipset) to be compatible with the built-in driver. See wiki page re dongles. Have you plugged in a suitable dongle?

2. MENU >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN is always available regardless of a Wi-Fi dongle or an actual Ethernet connection. If there is a working Ethernet link it takes priority over WiFi.

3. If, when you boot or use MENU >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP and then click "Apply" you get a message something like "no network detected", you have a problem between the HDR-FOX and the router, or the router is not properly configured (which would be unusual). This applies regardless of Ethernet or WiFi, because WiFi only takes the place of the wire and still requires the LAN to be set up to operate through it.

4. As a result of a successful "Apply" or reboot (regardless of WiFi or Ethernet), in Configure LAN you should get an IP address appropriate for your network. If the DHCP request fails, you might see a default (and inappropriate) value appear in the IP address field (take these as indication of a problem): 192.0.2.100 (Ethernet) or 192.0.2.200 (WiFi)*. This can happen at boot time if the link does not establish quickly enough so the DHCP request (where the unit asks the router to assign a network identity) times out, eg the WiFi does not establish a link or an Ethernet adapter doesn't come out of standby quickly enough (a particular problem with HomePlug). This can be alleviated by assigning Configure IP = Manual (with appropriately set IP address etc, of course).

* We believe these were baked into the firmware as being the credentials for Humax's test environment. Domestic networks would normally have netmask defaults 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x
Having achieved a link, you should then be able to ping the unit on the IP address shown in Configure LAN. If CF is installed you should be able to access Telnet and HTTP (ie the web page). Which web page gets served depends on the state of the system.

The CF is capable of configuring, saving, and re-invoking the LAN and WiFi network credentials (but of course, needs a working connection to access the WebIF!): see WebIF >> Settings >> Network Settings. This is particularly helpful if you have (hopefully) a complicated WiFi password (which can be difficult or impossible to input using the Humax menus, which can't input unusual characters and inconveniently times out if you're not quick enough). Using a temporary Ethernet link* to access the WebIF provides an alternative means to set up the WiFi. None of that should be attempted if the HDD is suspect (because the HDD is required to install WebIF and hold the settings).

* A temporary Ethernet link could comprise a direct cable connection to a PC. This would allow for configuring a WIFi link via WebIF (bypassing the inconvenient Humax menus), or debugging a wired connection. For details see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/no-home-network-how-to-use-cf.10115/page-2#post-162490.

Last edited:
Update
I have sorted the slow remote (other thread) but still have problems with getting DHCP to work via the ethernet cables. After doing HDD sanitizing and rebooting it was working, but a while later it had no connection. All sockets are lit for power and data but no internet connection shown, only the default IP addresses. If I then click "apply" it connects to my lan OK.
Something is intermittent but not sure if its the T2 or my Netgear GS105 5 port switch (lifetime guarantee). I did test the switch output with a laptop over 24 hours and had no problem and also rebooted my router without it re-connecting.

How likey is the problem to be the T2 or a switch in peoples experiences?

Thanks

Perhaps you can try a static address rather than DHCP. Sometimes if a number of items on a network run DHCP you can have issues. You should only have 1 DHCP controller. Give it a try as it may work. You also mention that when the default IP address is selected, it works fine. If you can set the IP on the T2 to use this address (as mentioned earlier) then it would always use this address.
To eliminate problems with the switch, then try a laptop in each port. Unless you have configured the ports otherwise, this should work fine. You could also post some pictures of what you are seeing as this may help you!

The original post said "Checked the router and there is no wired connection!". If that means the router thinks no cable is inserted, then it appears the link between the router to the switch is at fault. As I understand it, that's the long underfloor cable. Suggestions:

1. Where did the underfloor cable come from or get fitted? I can't post external links but Google for "RJ45 correct wiring" and check the different coloured pairs are connected to the correct pins at both ends of the cable. In my job in telecomms I've seen "home crimped" house wiring cables with the pairs connected incorrectly, and the various issues this causes get worse with longer cables. The fact that yours seems intermittent does raise an alarm bell like this.
2. If the cable is fine it does suggest a faulty connector (check the wires actually reach the pins in the RJ45 plug) and have a bit if a physical inspection of the router and switch sockets for dirt and bent/squashed pins.

As Satski suggested, try a static IP. Put a static in both the laptop and the Humax in the same subnet and plug them together with a single Ethernet cable (the laptop should auto detect the link). Can you ping the Humax from the Laptop? If so, then good, put Humax back into switch, put Laptop into switch, repeat, and see if you can work back to where the fault might be...

Or maybe the DHCP server is problematic or has run out of addresses, it which case try a static in the same subnet but outside the DHCP range (hopefully you can log into the router to see those?).

Also check the lease time of the IP addresses in the pool, maybe a few hours instead of the usual 24 hours. Another thing I've seen is the wrong subnet mask issued by the DHCP server although I would not expect a Netgear device to allow a wrong definition.

Back