network-shares-automount SMB 'wakeConstantly?' not working as intended?

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
Renaming the 'wakeConstantly?' folder under Modsettings/smb to 'wakeConstantly' seems to work as intended. But after a reboot it's back to 'wakeConstantly?' which rather defeats things. Am I missing something?

As intended:
There is also a new trigger called "wakeConstantly?". If this is set (again by removing the "?") the wake up script will be run every few seconds. This trigger will not be reset until reboot.

If it didn't reset the trigger ever, it would prevent the server ever turning off. Shirley if you want that you can set that up at the server.

If it didn't reset the trigger ever, it would prevent the server ever turning off. Shirley if you want that you can set that up at the server.
It would only be kept awake for as long as the HDR was on, which is surely what's wanted.

Situation here is I've recently changed the main/serving PC from one running Win7 to one with Win10. Never had to keep the W7 machine awake when the HDR was on but the W10 one will sometimes go to sleep almost as soon as it stops serving a video, which can be a pain hence my having to use this setting. It would be nice if there was an option to make it persistent.

[Edit] I've now remembered I found a setting on the Win7 machine that was something like "Disable sleep if there's an active share" but wasn't able to find this on the Win10 one nor was I able to find it again on the Win7 machine so I could go looking in the right place.

Last edited:
It would only be kept awake for as long as the HDR was on, which is surely what's wanted.
I have no experience of WoL, but my reading of it is that if the server is capable of WoL, the HDR-FOX user can poke it into life (from the HDR-FOX SUI) with "wake now" when required, or if the server is likely to time out and go back to sleep use "wake constantly". It's not a given that somebody will want a remote server to be running any time the HDR-FOX is running, in fact that is not at all desirable, hence the manual nature of the trigger.

However, if your desired operation/convenience requires constant/unimpeded access to a remote server (and hang the expense), you could add a cron job to ping WoL periodically using the same service as NSA (actually, the cron job script could simply rename the folder, the same as you would through the SUI). Or maybe @Drutt could add a "wake always" option to NSA.

If you want to pursue the cron idea but don't know how, let me know and I'll refer you to the details.

A brief google produced this (for keeping Windows awake under selectable circumstances): Coffee. I use an Android app called Caffeine to keep the user interface alive during phone calls.

Last edited:
If you want to pursue the cron idea but don't know how, let me know and I'll refer you to the details..
I may well take you up on that.

Puzzles me why the Win7 PC/server never went to sleep when there was an SMB share from the Humax. I'll run it up tonight to see there was something else going on that I wasn't aware of.

FWIW Nirsoft's WakeMeOnLan utility works nicely for doing WoL things, be it seeing what's awake to poking a machine into life with a command line shortcut e.g. 'WakeMeOnLan.exe /wakeup Castle'

Last edited:
Back