Networking and modified software guide.

Am I missing something? This is the *Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat recorder* thread. Where's the confusion coming from?

What is the name of the thread that I am posting in? I thought it was Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder.
However I will make it clearer in future at the cost of a bit of typing. Having your equipment in your sig does not neccessarily mean that it's about that equip that you are asking though.
You beat me to it Get Go :)

Yes I did install samba on the HDR, as at least I picked up that from the links you suggested. My problem was with all the 'You can install this if you want to' type suggestions all over the place is that I don't know whether I wanted to or not ;-)
Samba should be enough for streaming to your PC.

One of the things that I want to do that I don't seem to be able to do from the Hummy file manager is to put all my films (say) into a new 'Films' folder on the internal HDD and was wondedring whether I can do this from Windows Explorer..
Not sure what the Hummy File manger is. I don't use it. Is it part of the Raydons' web interface. I dont use that either.

Manipulating files on the foxsat's hard drive via a PC is something I've decided not to do. I don't want to end up messing any thing up on the foxsat's hard drive. I solely use Raydons hack to watch videos and I do all my maintenance like deleting watched videos or creating new folders etc. using the Foxsat as normal via the TV. That's me being overly cautious, cause like you I'm not 100% sure of all the implications and I don't want to knock anything out of kilter.

But AFAIK you can do it, and it shouldn't cause any problems if done right.

Or enter their details in their signature field! What have you got Brian? ;)
Members often get their own equipment details wrong, so this can not be relied upon.
Am I missing something? This is the *Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat recorder* thread. Where's the confusion coming from?
Yes, this is the "Networking and modified software guide." thread, which is part of the "Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder" forum. It would be helpful to post the model details in the thread title or first post.
What is the name of the thread that I am posting in? I thought it was Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder.
However I will make it clearer in future at the cost of a bit of typing. Having your equipment in your sig does not neccessarily mean that it's about that equip that you are asking though.
You beat me to it Get Go :)
You are posting in the "Networking and modified software guide." thread, which is part of the "Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder" forum.
It is quite common for members to post or reply to threads in the wrong forums, this can confuse other members who may give advice about the "other" type of HDR.

Yes, this is the "Networking and modified software guide." thread, which is part of the "Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder" forum. It would be helpful to post the model details in the thread title or first post.

True, true.
Or you could put like this: It would be helpful for contributors to read the the forum and thread title. ;)

Hell, if people aren't going to read what the thread and forum is about why presume they're going to read any extra details!

True, true.
Or you could put like this: It would be helpful for contributors to read the the forum and thread title. ;)

Hell, if people aren't going to read what the thread and forum is about why presume they're going to read any extra details!
Yes, my thoughts exactly.:)

My appologies for not doing so, and and for getting my 'threads' and 'forums' mixed up. I have edited the OP to reflect the equipment that to which I am refering, and added my stuff to my signature. Being a fairly newbie to the Hummy.tv forums (and to the Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorders,) I also appologise for not adding my stuff to my siggy before now.
I don't suppose there is a chance of no more bickering about my posts is there? I promise no more from me, honest!;)

I have now 'installed' the VLC video player (nearly got trapped by VCL media player rougue) on my main computer and it works great. I have yet to try it on my lappy to see if it still freezes, but will do later when she who must be obeyed has finished her Ebaying :-(
Shame that you can't tell the difference between SD and HD in VCL's File menu.
Anyone any thoughts about my file shuffling poser?

Shame that you can't tell the difference between SD and HD in VCL's File menu.

You won't be able to play HD content as its encrypted (unless you've recorded it using the boot-up in non-Fressat mode workaround) . You should be able to guess what's HD from the files sizes. Say an hour long BBC SD program would be 1GB then a HD version might be around 5GB.

Oh yeah, don't forget too turn on de-interlace on VLC (on the video menu) it should give a better picture when watching recoded broadcasted TV.

Get Go said:
Oh yeah, don't forget too turn on de-interlace on VLC (on the video menu) it should give a better picture when watching recoded broadcasted TV.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl in a mo.

Have now tried VLC video player on both hardwired main and wireless n lappy computers. The main is fine, but as I suspected , the lappy struggles with the HD from the 0.ts buffer. SD is good though.
Also have found the new and exciting (to me) iPlayer ;-)

FoxSat HDR Freesat Recorder (1Gb HDD), Humax 9200 Freeview Recorder, Tower PC with W7Pro 32 bit and a W7 64 bit lappy.
Do you Really only have a "1Gb HDD" in your Foxsat HDR?;)

Nah, 'corse not. Every time a typo is made, the errorists win :). Shall we try 1TB? Boing TFB said Z

Back