New 5000T stuck in standby

chas

Hi all, I’m a new member so please be gentle ! Although not as technically capable as most on here, I’ve owned a Fox T2 for 8 years and until recently it has been superb, now I have a HDD problem with the Fox that after reading many posts on this forum and talking to Humax customer care, have come to the conclusion that the Hard Drive has had it. I’m having a go at replacing the hard drive when the postman delivers it and will use it with another TV in the house. Anyway, after deciding that the Fox hard drive was on its last legs, I bought a new 5000T, aware that it is slower than my old Fox and that some think is inferior to the Fox but it seemed better than its competitors. My problem with the 5000T is that it flatly keeps refusing to come out of standby each evening, with either the remote or the button on top of the box, my only recourse is to switch off at the mains, switch on and then it finally responds to the remote. I’ve searched advice from previous threads and tried Power Timer with power on power off for 10 minutes each morning and also turning off Power Timer, turned off Auto Power Down and Power Saving Mode, HDMI CEC Control is set to Off, does anyone have any thoughts please? I’d be grateful for any advice, the 5000T is playing through a Sony Bravia TV using the supplied new Humax HDMI cable, I’ve only had the 5000T for a couple of weeks so if the conclusion is it’s broken, I could of course return it to Curry’s if needed. Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay !!!

Last edited:
My problem with the 5000T is that it flatly keeps refusing to come out of standby each evening, with either the remote or the button on top of the box, my only recourse is to switch off at the mains, switch on and then it finally responds to the remote.
Can I just check, what colour are the LEDs on the bottom of the box when it isn't working?

The LED is dull red as in standby not recording. Once I unplug and plug in again, the box boots up, shows the Humax logo on screen, LED shows blue then goes back to standby and dull red, TV screen blank, then I can use the remote successfully to boot up and LED goes to blue and all is well after that until the following evening.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I was kind of at that stage last night but I suppose I just needed someone with more technical expertise than me to confirm it. One further question, is the 5000T now the best Humax model available as new, in your opinions, or should I look for a better more reliable model ?

One further question, is the 5000T now the best Humax model available as new, in your opinions, or should I look for a better more reliable model ?
My experience of the Humax FVP-5000T is that it is generally reasonably reliable but it has an awful lot of quirks that are irritating. I think your choice is another FVP or look at another manufacturer: Panasonic are generally regarded as very reliable PVRs but a bit awkward to use or you could look at the newer Manhattan T3-R which is fairly new to the market and the software is still rather immature but seems to be much better regarded by its users and Manhattan are producing regular software updates with a big one in the works due in a few months time.

Thank you Martin, honest, straightforward and experienced advice, just what I was looking for. I’ll do some more research with your thoughts in mind, in the meantime I’ll whizz the 5000T back to Curry’s, if I can get anyone to answer the phone that is !

I notice the LEDs have changed on the 5000 but not the age old problem that because they have decided to use the same red led to signify being in standby or recording it's not possible to see whether the box it's on our off, combined with the fact it takes 20 minutes to wake up you have to switch it on of 20 times before you can conclude it's actually on

Can I just check, what colour are the LEDs on the bottom of the box when it isn't working?

Humax 5000 is the only recorder with 3 tuners that can record 4 channels and watch another. Not sure why other manufacturers don't fit 3/4 tuners for the extra £5 each but it totally precludes me from buying anything else despite its crappy interface and lack of support

..... One further question, is the 5000T now the best Humax model available as new, in your opinions, or should I look for a better more reliable model ?

FWIW My 5000T has had a few episodes of not switching on. It starts with a red LED. Press on - appears to do nothing. If I resist the urge to press on again the LEDs go off completely and the box appears to crash and reboot. Comes back with blue LED, then goes red and needs another press of on to get up and running. A bit of a pain. Can't work out what causes the problem - but I'm beginning to suspect leaving the Humax on "the wrong channel"* when switching off may be the cause. (* a part-time channel that is off-air when the Humax is switched on)

Humax 5000 is the only recorder with 3 tuners that can record 4 channels and watch another. Not sure why other manufacturers don't fit 3/4 tuners for the extra £5 each but it totally precludes me from buying anything else despite its crappy interface and lack of support
That’s part of my purchasing dilemma, I like the fact that the 5000T has 3 tuners, easy EPG search for programmes to record (the Manhattan & Panasonic can’t fulfil both of these) but a bit frustrated by the speed of reaction of the UI and I also think I’ve been spoiled by 8 years of almost faultless Fox T2. Maybe I was unlucky with my recent 5000T purchase?

FWIW My 5000T has had a few episodes of not switching on. It starts with a red LED. Press on - appears to do nothing. If I resist the urge to press on again the LEDs go off completely and the box appears to crash and reboot. Comes back with blue LED, then goes red and needs another press of on to get up and running. A bit of a pain. Can't work out what causes the problem - but I'm beginning to suspect leaving the Humax on "the wrong channel"* when switching off may be the cause. (* a part-time channel that is off-air when the Humax is switched on)
That’s interesting, it’s made me look back over the last 2 weeks of ownership of the 5000T and I think the last programmes we watched before switching off and going to bed and having the problem the next evening, were either on Netflix or recording and not live TV, I wonder if the inability to boot up from standby is down to an inactive EPG that finds it hard to boot up from start after watching recording or streaming ?

One further question, is the 5000T now the best Humax model available as new, in your opinions, or should I look for a better more reliable model ?
You have one already. Fix your T2 and don't fall for the advertising lies:rolling:

You have one already. Fix your T2 and don't fall for the advertising lies:rolling:
Yes thanks Trev, am on with that & expecting a new hard drive being delivered today/tomorrow and hopefully will have “old faithful” up and running again. The prospect of having the Fox with the kitchen diner TV (which is a Sony with the slowest processor I have ever seen in a TV) that would speed that TV up using the Fox without buying anew TV and a new 4 tuner Humax with the big Sony Bravia TV in the lounge certainly looked attractive though

Yep. It would that.:D And likely your next question would likely be something along the lines of "Can I copy stuff from one to the other";)

Q. Would you actually watch recordings in the Kitchen/Diner rather than the lounge? I know I wouldn't.:eek:

Yep. It would that.:D And likely your next question would likely be something along the lines of "Can I copy stuff from one to the other";)

Q. Would you actually watch recordings in the Kitchen/Diner rather than the lounge? I know I wouldn't.:eek:
No desire to copy from one to the other, with a 4 tuner box in the lounge, I can’t see a need. The “benefits” of the Fox in the kitchen diner would be transforming a very slow TV in the kitchen diner to one that doesn’t make me feel that I’ve lost part of my life waiting for a response (if you think the 5000T is slow, compared to this TV it’s light speed) and having the ability to pause live TV, whilst we cook, eat, make a cup of tea etc

Back