New Aura Freezing

AndyPell

Hello All, got my 2TB Aura yesterday and after a long setup settled down to watching some liveprogs last night. However, about every 5 or so minutes the channel froze, only fix apart from turning off was to change channel and then go back to the original all was ok again for the next 5 minutes. Do you reckon this is a faulty box or have I missed something in the setup?
On a second point while setting up the network I noticed that it would not accept DNS servers other that google on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, run my own network with servers etc.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Andy

Do you reckon this is a faulty box or have I missed something in the setup?
It would be very bad UI design for a consumer product if some setting were able to cause that.

Is it a faulty box? That's a moot point. Reading the threads on here indicates the Aura is not ultra reliable. However, I would check whether it is still freezing/rebooting/whatever while not connected to a network, to confirm the problems are not induced externally. Having done that, if I had taken delivery of a unit clearly not fit for purpose, I would be sending it back.

On a second point while setting up the network I noticed that it would not accept DNS servers other that google on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4,
I hadn't noticed that before. I'm assuming you're trying to set a static IP address. I can't be sure whether a change is made because I don't seem to be able to list the settings without entering the modify menu. It might be that the changes are made, but entering the modify menu defaults the DNS settings. I don't know whether you can test that you've actually changed the DNS servers. Alternatively can you use DHCP with your network?

On a second point while setting up the network I noticed that it would not accept DNS servers other that google on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, run my own network with servers etc.
For historic reasons I use OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and that is accepted so it isn't limited to Google DNS.

Thanks for replies, just checked the link you sent and the channels that froze are the same Sky Arts and UDave.
As for the network I wanted to set a static, all the equipment I have is static apart from mobile phones, tablets and laptops. Unfortunately when it is DHCP you can't see what the DNS is I assume it is what is delivered by the DHCP server. It is not really an issue and will have to live with it. Just want it to be as good as the old one.
Not good that you have to use a cable to FTP to the server

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll just keep watching the forum just in case something pops up.

For historic reasons I use OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and that is accepted so it isn't limited to Google DNS.
Do you know the Aura is actually using the setting? I can see AndyPell's point, if you set a static IP the IP and gateway seem to default to the last set, the DNS to 8.8.8.8. Am i missing something? I can't see how to check the settings without changing them.

No way of checking what the DNS is actually set to, not without being able to do an ipconfig, hopefully if DHCP is working correctly should be my router.

Contacted Humax support about both issues, they completely ignored the DNS issue however they sent me a fix for the locking

Regarding the blinking/dropping out problem, go into settings – then Audio &video - then click Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching and change the setting from LOW to High.

Well that didn't work so have written back and I will see if they suggest anything else. The locking appears to affect all channels on multiplex 22 (West Midlands), signal strength 100%

Found another issue too, tried to stream ITVx and the whole box locked up (Power cycle required). At least I can use my tv so not completely shafted, though it has problems with My5.

Well that didn't work so have written back and I will see if they suggest anything else. The locking appears to affect all channels on multiplex 22 (West Midlands), signal strength 100%
If by West Midlands you mean near Stoke-on-Trent (Transmitter - Fenton) the Ch 22 UHF is the ArqA multiplex that various people are having problems with. Keep your eye on the other threads Arq A/Com 5 problems and Sky Arts (on myhumax.org) for other, sometimes conflicting, responses from Humax.

You are correct about the transmitter

The only additional advice that Humax could give was to do a full factory reset, can't see that would cure anything.

Thanks for the pointers will keep watching those for progress.

You are correct about the transmitter

The only additional advice that Humax could give was to do a full factory reset, can't see that would cure anything.

Thanks for the pointers will keep watching those for progress.
Yes do not bother with the factory reset it does nothing to solve the Com5 issue. Humax are now aware of the problem and working on fix apparently.

The clueless muppets at Humax support have been ignoring my emails for the last week rather than answer as to what they are now doing to solve the issue after their previous advice had not to worked for anyone. However someone else received this................................

'Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We are experiencing an elevated volume of contacts due to an issue with our Aura set-top boxes, where specific channels may temporarily experience intermittent disturbance in reception with freezing or picture blackout.
Please be assured that our developer team is actively investigating the cause. Rest assured, we are working diligently to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.
There is no need for further action on your part at this time. We will provide updates and additional information as soon as a fix is available.
Thank you for your patience. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your understanding.'

That seems pretty much identical to the message they gave out for the last black screen issue and that was eventually fixed with an update so hopefully nthis can be seen as progress.

Back