New Freeview 5000T Fault

Richchad

I bought a Freeview 5000T a couple of weeks ago and notice that after about half an hour from switching on from standby the screen goes blank and no sound for about a second.

After that all works as it should, I don't get this when watching Freeview on TV only so has to be related to the Freeview player.

I am wondering should I report this to Humax or Richer Sounds where I bought it in case it is the start of a bigger fault?

When you re-wind and view the same time period again, do you see the problem repeated or is the missing section viewable?

I am wondering should I report this to Humax or Richer Sounds where I bought it in case it is the start of a bigger fault?
You have no formal relationship with Humax, your consumer rights are with where you bought it.

If you are in any way concerned, and if Richer Sounds offers a no-quibble policy (I believe they do), get a swap. Even if they do not offer no-quibble, you have a right to reparation but it would be difficult to enforce if you can't demonstrate the problem.

Should the problem be the same in another unit, it would appear to be generic and then it is worth approaching Humax about it. Ditto if anyone else reports the same observation (but it's no good relying on Humax to acknowledge that). Someone else reporting the same thing is better, because that rules out local influences.

I had the similar problem with my 5000t
In Settings my Humax showed Ariel Signal strength & quality at 100%.
What it didn’t show was that the signal strength may be too high, i.e. above 100%, (In my case caused by my Ariel masthead booster), then the 5000t is liable to freeze & loose signal.
I purchased a Variable Signal Attenuator, (about £4 on eBay) allowing me to reduce the signal strength to below 100%. (anything less than 85% I’m told is ok). It simply plugs into the Humax coaxial cable run. This solved the problem straight away!

Anything less than 100% is OK - the gauge tops out at 100%, so if it reads that you don't know how much over it is.

Last edited:
When you re-wind and view the same time period again, do you see the problem repeated or is the missing section viewable?
Had the problem yesterday and when I rewound it back no sign of the problem.... so I guess that means the fault is just on the output to the TV?

I had the similar problem with my 5000t
In Settings my Humax showed Ariel Signal strength & quality at 100%.
What it didn’t show was that the signal strength may be too high, i.e. above 100%, (In my case caused by my Ariel masthead booster), then the 5000t is liable to freeze & loose signal.
I purchased a Variable Signal Attenuator, (about £4 on eBay) allowing me to reduce the signal strength to below 100%. (anything less than 85% I’m told is ok). It simply plugs into the Humax coaxial cable run. This solved the problem straight away!

Not sure if my signal strength is too high, 90% on some channels and only 83-84% on some others, if I fit an Attenuator does it reduce all channels by the same amount?

The Signal Quality for all channels shows 100%, does an Attenuator adjust this as well, and is signal quality a problem?

Signal sounds fine to me, problem likely to be the HDMI output or the HDMI negotiation with the TV. If the latter, experience will differ across different TVs and yours could be unique. Can you try it with a different TV?

Signal sounds fine to me, problem likely to be the HDMI output or the HDMI negotiation with the TV. If the latter, experience will differ across different TVs and yours could be unique. Can you try it with a different TV?

Difficult to try on another TV in a different room as would have to sit and watch for sometime to see if fault occurs, maybe I could try a different HDMI input on the TV first.

. so I guess that means the fault is just on the output to the TV?
Yes, the signal is recorded and played back with a slight delay when watching 'live TV', as stated above it may be only affecting the HDMI output, trying a different HDMI TV input is a good idea, input 1 sometimes has different characteristics to the remaining inputs

Yes, the signal is recorded and played back with a slight delay when watching 'live TV', as stated above it may be only affecting the HDMI output, trying a different HDMI TV input is a good idea, input 1 sometimes has different characteristics to the remaining inputs

The Freeview 5000T was connected to HDMI 2 on the TV and Freesat on HDMI 1, so switched them, thought it had fixed it but yesterday, same problem appeared, went blank for a second or two.
Guess I will just have live with it and hope it doesn't get any worse.

You could try a different 'V-Format' (on your remote control), as each uses a new HDMI handling routine, if you find one that fixes the problem, it will prove HDMI handshaking is the cause, however you probably won't want to keep a low resolution format to fix your problem in the long term

Back