"New" Second-Hand HDR-FOX

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Having loaned out an HDR, to keep up my population I did a "buy now" on an eBay HDR-FOX T2 500GB.

It is in very good nick: case perfect, seal intact, display a little faded, HDD got recordings on it (most recent mid November). Commissioning tests pass, except fan (check not concluded) and I've not flashed it yet.

The previous owner appears not to have been aware of CF - HiDef recordings are protected; DLNA was off (but for some reason FTP was on); firmware standard 1.03.12.

I'll report back when I've got some HDD stats.

(Originally posted yesterday in another thread)

Last edited:
Fan tell-tail blew off :roflmao: in the night :)

The only thing I can find wrong with it is a broken battery cover on the handset.

Now I have installed CF and had a snoop around (via the command line, WebIF not installed yet), I have found a mod link to mnt/hd2/mod dated 26/04/2017 (which I take as an installation date) but mnt/hd2/mod itself is dated now (which I take as a consequence of reinstalling the CF).

What I think has happened is that the user prior to me bought it second hand. The previous user ran CF, and cleared it all out and wiped the HDD before passing it on, and then the next user lacked that sophistication and used it as-is, passing it on as-is (if the prior user had been CF-aware, and removed it before selling it to me, would he also have wiped the HDD?).

The HDD seems OK, apart from the expected overheat warning (consequence of running without the fan package). In summary:

HDR6: Hours 8952 Cycles 7229 Uncorrectable 0

...that's an order of magnitude lower than my main workhorse HDRs!

What I think has happened is that the user prior to me bought it second hand. The previous user ran CF, and cleared it all out and wiped the HDD before passing it on, and then the next user lacked that sophistication and used it as-is, passing it on as-is (if the prior user had been CF-aware, and removed it before selling it to me, would he also have wiped the HDD?).
And yet some of the recordings date back to 2012. Clearly my conclusions are incorrect, but the only alternative explanation I can think of is that the 26/04/2017 date on the mod link is a red herring - unless the previous user (possibly the same user) removed CF without wiping the HDD... but why would anyone do that??

Bugger. I've wiped the drive now... I think it would have been informative to survey the timestamps on all the existing recordings first, which might have indicated usage pattern.

Last edited:
Back