New style 'seagate desktop hard drive' - With USB HUB!

I had assumed from #1 that the OP has not encountered any problems with the HDD's power consumption as he is using it successfully on a daily basis

You may have a problem with the switch listed in #2, if you don't have USB cables fitted with both type A and type B connectors
I didn't notice that, but it was only a suggestion to use a USB switch instead of his unplugging scenario.

I had assumed from #1 that the OP has not encountered any problems with the HDD's power consumption as he is using it successfully on a daily basis
My interpretation of what has been said is that he hasn't purchased the Seagate drive and is currently using an older drive so he can't know whether power consumption will be an issue. His comments include "I've seen in Curry's a new type of external hdd" and "Even if i don't buy this 'twin-usb' drive".

Then the power problem does not exist. The only thing is that he also said he would like a larger drive.

Has it actually been stated anywhere that the drive is USB powered and not via a mains adaptor, in which case there is no problem?

Has it actually been stated anywhere that the drive is USB powered and not via a mains adaptor, in which case there is no problem?
I am wrong; I got the idea it was USB powered from some of the comments on Amazon that described needing a USB Y cable for USB 2 which I associate with equipment that is USB powered. Reading the product details more carefully it comes with a mains power supply. My apologies.

I have two Humax box's (hdr-fox t2) in my living room, and one 'external usb-hdd' that i share between them (for archiving). It's frustrating having to keep swapping the usb-lead from the hdd, to each hummy every day, to copy recordings to it - i'm looking for a clean solution, you know?

I like the portability of an external hdd so i can also watch saved recordings elsewhere such as upstairs, or at my son's house etc.
...why should i have to keep removing and then attaching the usb leads every day (from either port) from one hummy to another, when a quick, non-techie, permanent solution was needed.
I still champion the idea of sharing one drive between the two HDRs using network access. In fact, with two USB ports each, you could share four USB HDDs between them, up to 2TB per drive!

You don't even need to connect the HDRs to your home network (except for setting it all up in the first place), all you would need is a simple RJ45 Ethernet patch lead linking the Ethernet sockets on each HDR (on the rear panel, immediately under the USB port). We could easily lead you through the setting up.

If you are absolutely not interested in a Custom Firmware solution (and it really is easy), this topic needs to be in the vanilla HDR-FOX section of the forum - you have posted it in the Custom Firmware section.

If you are absolutely not interested in a Custom Firmware solution (and it really is easy), this topic needs to be in the vanilla HDR-FOX section of the forum - you have posted it in the Custom Firmware section.
The drive referenced comes in 4, 6 or 8TB versions. How could that be used without the custom firmware (if indeed it could be used at all)?

The drive referenced comes in 4, 6 or 8TB versions. How could that be used without the custom firmware (if indeed it could be used at all)?
We told the OP that drive wouldn't do what he wanted it to do, so he decided to try the switch instead.

Eric has declared himself a technophobe, and yet posted in the CF section thereby clouding the issue. Nonetheless, an Ethernet patch lead and some CF configuring would have achieved what he wanted much better and cheaper than a switch.

Just saw the word Seagate mentioned, so I thought I would mention this.
I have (had) a Humax 2000T which is a lovely unit. As I have attached a usb (powered) 250 GB HDD with no problems with saving recorded files, so I thought there would not be a problem attaching a slightly bigger drive. Because I don’t buy online, a powered Seagate 2TB was the smallest I could buy.

Horror! :eek: Everything has been deleted on the Humax HDD, and it showed Total HDD size=0, Used=0 Available=0. It keeps asking to be formatted, (which I do), but although it looks like it is OK, it will not record.
I have done a Factory Reset.

There are no instructions in the Seagate box (only plug it in pictures). Humax do give some information, re a drive must be powered and not all work. However I didn’t think it would obliterate the Humax HDD!.
I am not an IT expect but if I had more instructions/steps, I’d have followed them.

The Humax HDD did not show any problems before. Has the external HDD really done this?

Mega upset about this. :cry:

This is the consequence of some kind of failure, not the result of anything you have done by mistake. This really isn't the right place to discuss a 2000T problem though!

Back