New to this and confused

7omly

I've recently purchased a Humax Foxsat box running Raydon custom firmware. Is it possible to use this to get freeview play with this. That is can I scroll back using the TV guide and watch programs from the previous day. As I said in the title I'm new to this sort of stuff and I was led to believe that this software added all sorts of extra functionality to the box.
I am beginning to think I may have bought the wrong box, I hope not.
Thanks in advance

I've recently purchased a Humax Foxsat box running Raydon custom firmware. Is it possible to use this to get freeview play with this.
Freeview Play is based on terrestrial broadcasts whereas a FOXSAT is a satellite receiver. The FOXSAT design is far too old to support the modern catch up services that the backwards EPG in Freeview Play uses.
That is can I scroll back using the TV guide and watch programs from the previous day. As I said in the title I'm new to this sort of stuff and I was led to believe that this software added all sorts of extra functionality to the box.
Unquestionably it adds a lot of functionality to the FOXSAT but there are limits to what the underlying hardware can achieve.
I am beginning to think I may have bought the wrong box, I hope not.
If your fundamental requirement is to watch catch up you have definitely bought the wrong box.

Hello Martin and thanks for your reply. You've confirmed my worst fears. Luckily I still have my Roku stick for catch up.
Thanks again.

Is it possible to use this to get freeview play with this. That is can I scroll back using the TV guide and watch programs from the previous day... I am beginning to think I may have bought the wrong box, I hope not.
Freeview Play is based on terrestrial broadcasts
Not only does "Freeview" refer to terrestrial broadcasting, "Freeview Play" is a specific proprietary service requiring client software able to access catch-up TV servers over an Internet connection and link that to past entries in an overall EPG (Electronic Programme Guide, or "TV guide" as you put it). This is not the same as just accessing the various broadcaster catch-up services individually. Any unit able to do this would be branded "Freeview Play", so if that is what you wanted you have indeed bought the wrong box.

I was led to believe that this software added all sorts of extra functionality to the box.
What concerns me is whether the seller misrepresented the capabilities of a FOXSAT-HDR, albeit installed with custom firmware. What "extra functionality" where you promised... or did you just make a wild assumption?

Summary of the main additional functionality (I'm sure others will chip in if they think I've missed anything significant):
  • Defeat the recording encryption so that subsequent recordings are not locked;
  • Web browser control panel;
  • DLNA server for network streaming of recordings;
  • File server for network access to recording files;
  • Maintenance diagnostics;
  • Remote scheduling of recordings as an Internet service.
Summary of what custom firmware can't do:
  • Anything to alter or add to the primary Humax functionality as presented on the TV screen.
Presuming this is installed, all you need to do to explore the additions is check the IP address assigned to your Foxsat (use the menus and find the Internet Setting), then type that into your web browser address bar.

My general advice to anybody considering second-hand purchase of a unit which somebody has fiddled with (so it is no longer as per manufacturer spec) is to be very, very careful and fully understand what you are getting into before committing to purchase, especially if the fiddling cannot be reversed (in this case, it can).

Last edited:
Hello Martin and thanks for your reply. You've confirmed my worst fears. Luckily I still have my Roku stick for catch up.
The Foxsat for PVR duties and the Roku stick for catch up duties complement each other perfectly.

Back