Newbie: Help needed

chunks52

Hello folks. Nice to find the forum.
I am in a bit of a pickle so to speak and hope that someone can help me out.
Using the fantastic Raydon's software for a while, I've today needed to disconnect all my equipment and reinstall.
When I've done so, I've found that I can no longer get back into the browser, It's asking for a username and password that was set so long ago I can't remember.
I remember reading at some point that the password can be reset if you log in via telnet and use the pass-disable function but this hasn't worked for me.
I know I either set the user name to admin or my name but no password or pass-disable works. Everything is rejected.
I've tried a drastic reinstall of the Humax software followed by a reinstall of Raydon's software but I still can't get into my browser 192.xx,xx,xx etc.
A putty connection leads me to name and password again and pass-disable does not work.
Can anyone suggest a work round on what can be done so I can get into the receiver once more?#
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers guys.

The default password will be the box PIN of 0000. What version of the custom firmware are you running please? Why did you need to reinstall?

Hello Martin.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using custom firmware version 4.1.3.
Pin of 0000 doesn't seem to work either.
I'm only thinking of reinstalling the software because user name and password access is forgotten.

Attachments

• foxsat1.png
    foxsat1.png
    217.6 KB · Views: 10
I have to confess I am not an expert on the Foxsat. I am puzzled the telnet command doesn't work if you are on 4.1.3; can you describe exactly what happens when you try using telnet please?

It just keeps advising that the password is incorrect and requests the password to be input again. After 4 or 5 attempts, telnet is aborted.

Attachments

• foxsat2.png
    foxsat2.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 15
It just keeps advising that the password is incorrect and requests the password to be input again.
I'll repeat I am not an expert but everything I read says there is no telnet login procedure. Probably silly question but are you absolutely sure you are using the correct IP address?

No, I appreciate yours (or anyone elses) help... Yes, the IP address is correct. I have checked in network settings to ensure the IP address is correct.
This is why I was thinking, my only way out was to "overwrite" Raydon's software with the last known Humax software version and then reinstall Raydon's as a fresh install thinking it would then start off from scratch again but hasn't - it still remembers all the settings from before and keeps on requesting username and password. Any other thoughts? Do you know how to fully uninstall Raydon's version?

Are you sure you're using telnet and not ssh? It looks like the latter to me.

Why do people always think reinstalling is going to fix everything? It isn't, unless you format the disk, which is obviously not a good idea to fix this.

FWIW, I tried using ssh root@my.ip.address and it worked, so I guess your use of admin is wrong.

@prpr Could you explain further how I would do this as this is very new territory for me.
@MartinLiddle - IP address image attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.png
    IMG_0043.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm probably being completely thick here, for which I apologise but this also asks for a password when I try login on as root. That's both in the web browser or by telnet connection.

Telnet - if you have it installed, on the Foxsat is unsecured - no credentials are required at all, so it is the backdoor which allows password reset. For more security, the recommendation is to disable telnet and install dropbear ssh on the foxsat
SSH - if you have it installed will require a username and password.
There are two accounts by default. Unless you've added or changed the set up one of these should work.
user 'HumaxFTP' password '0000'
user 'root' password 'root'

@chunks52 - your screenshot in post #5 implies you're using PuTTY to try to connect. The fact that you're being prompted for a username and password suggests (as others have said) that you're trying to connect via SSH and not plain Telnet.

Check your PuTTY settings are per the attached image. Assuming that you have telnet enabled on the Foxsat you should then be able to get straight in without being prompted for the username/password.

Once you are logged onto the Foxsat follow the instructions at the following link to disable the Web Interface user authentication: https://www.avforums.com/threads/reset-web-interface-password-foxsat-hdr-cf4-1-3.1968160/

The default username/password of root/root (as posted by @Dino) are the defaults for a SSH connection.

1668347216023.png

@prpr Could you explain further how I would do this as this is very new territory for me.
Use the telnet client if you have it installed (or install it). If not and you are still using putty, make sure you have the Other (with telnet selected in the list) button clicked for Connection Type on the Session dialog page.

Guys. Huge thanks for all your replies and so sorry for not coming back to you quicker. I'm afraid I've tried the above and attach the unsuccesful screen shots. I do know that SSH dropbear was installed but I am not sure whether I ever installed telnet.

Attachments

• humax1.png
    humax1.png
    579.2 KB · Views: 12
  • humax2.png
    humax2.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 12
Guys. Huge thanks for all your replies and so sorry for not coming back to you quicker. I'm afraid I've tried the above and attach the unsuccesful screen shots. I do know that SSH dropbear was installed but I am not sure whether I ever installed telnet.
So with ssh did you try the default passwords suggested by Dino in post #13?

Well trying the Telnet suggestion comes up with a network connection error as soon as I try putty-ing the connection.
I am not that proficient so any more guidance would be appreciated.
I have even tried taking off Raydon's software completely, installing the last Humax firmware and then reinstalling Raydon's software but when I try again with the IP address, the login user name and password comes up again as though it wasn't a complete uninstall and reinstall as I thought it was.,

Attachments

• humax2.png
    humax2.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 9
  • humax3.png
    humax3.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 9
Back