Newby guide needed please

zeltus

Hi.

I've moved t France and have dug out my venerable Humax Foxsat-HDR PVR. It mostly seems to be working :)

But I really can't extract any recording from it, no matter what I use, it either doesn't recognise my USB stick or won't copy "file too large" to it.

I've been reading the posts about custom firmware but I've no real idea where to start. I've surmised that, once flashed, my Humax box can be connected to my network via the ethernet port? If so, that would be an excellent start.

Is there an Idiots' Guide to all this anywhere? I guess, if not and I can pick your brains bit by bit, it might be a task for me to write one, me having worn a technical author's hat for a time when I worked for living.
Many thanks for any help you do offer!

Bill

But I really can't extract any recording from it, no matter what I use, it either doesn't recognise my USB stick or won't copy "file too large" to it.

I've been reading the posts about custom firmware but I've no real idea where to start. I've surmised that, once flashed, my Humax box can be connected to my network via the ethernet port? If so, that would be an excellent start.

Is there an Idiots' Guide to all this anywhere? I guess, if not and I can pick your brains bit by bit, it might be a task for me to write one, me having worn a technical author's hat for a time when I worked for living.
The second pinned topic at the top of the FOXSAT-HDR Customised Firmware is a set of (hopefully) useful links.

As a rough summary, just as I understand it (I don't "do" Foxsat):

[Those who know will correct the details, but this is a starting point]
  1. The CF is installed just as you would a normal firmware update, but if your USB port isn't working you'll struggle with that.

2. Having installed the firmware, you then connect via a web browser and install the web interface.

3. With the WebIF installed, the user guide documentation is available within it.
Be aware you will not be able to extract HiDef recordings made prior to also installing Nowster's Patch.

Files too large = 4GB or bigger = HD files almost certainly. Even a long film in SD is unlikely to reach the file system limit.

USB sticks must be formatted as FAT32 or in linux (ext3) to match the file system on the Foxsat it doesn't know other formats like ntfs and exFAT. There's one USB on rear and one under front flap.

Any HD files will be encrypted so will never be copy-able. Future HD recordings need nowsters patch and the Custom Firmware. IF you can receive the UK spot beams in your bit of France.

Just watch the recorded programmes off the -HDR connected to a TV set via hdmi?

The kakapo is a real-life animal which could have come from the fevered imagination of Douglas Adams. A parrot which has become so heavy it can no longer fly, but doesn't seem to know that!

The kakapo is a real-life animal which could have come from the fevered imagination of Douglas Adams. A parrot which has become so heavy it can no longer fly, but doesn't seem to know that!
Also rather endangered, and, in the wild, are only to be found on Stewart island, New Zealand. a bird of nocturnal habits and very shy, rather like a Kiwi. Haven't heard one myself, but understand they 'boom' (a bit like a Bittern does) to communicate.

Some videos about the Kakapo ...
and
(BBC doco) and
where it is doing its 'booming' mating call.

They are larger than a Kea (which you may find in a zoo near you), which is another New Zealand native parrot, but is definitely not shy, and can trash your car for you. See
and
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr1xhyaYtjE which is an insurance company commercial. They left the car there for a week and filmed the Kea dismantling it.

Seems to have got a mention in a repeat QI since your post.

Back