Nicesplice Magic Folders

Zander

Hi all, new recruit to CFW here. Firstly, thank you for making my user experience of my HDR Fox T2 much more enjoyable; the CFW is a big improvement to an already good machine. I have been enjoying the purple recording ring (little things please little minds) and the Nicesplice Magic Folders. Unfortunately recently I can't get the Nicesplice Magic Folders to work consistently anymore. I am sure the issue is with me, so would appreciate any advice, recommendations, or any do's and don'ts. Thank you.

Editing Via Remote Only

I bookmark the files I want to be edited, and then move them into the ‘Cut’ sub folder (Move files here with bookmarks marking cut points) I leave them there for a few minutes, longer than it takes to edit them using Webif, and sometimes they are edited, and strangely other times they are not.

I leave them there for a few minutes, longer than it takes to edit them using Webif, and sometimes they are edited, and strangely other times they are not.
Are they processed if you leave them over night?
Many webif services are triggered by a timer, I don't use magic folders so don't know how often it is scheduled to run.
You should wait at least that time interval plus time for it to actually do the cropping before checking for results?

As editing via Webif was almost instantaneous, I wrongly presumed editing via remote control would be as well. Thanks MymsMan, I will try leaving them overnight as suggested.

Thanks for the link to the original topic Black Hole, very informative. All the files I have edited so far have been .ts files, so I'll just have to be more patient.

I took a quick look at the package and it appears to be started at system boot and check for new files every 5 seconds (which seems a little excessive),
As far as I could see there is no mechanism to restart it should it fail for any reason.

Zander are there any messages in editmon.log (viewable on the Diag panel) to indicate failure with the programmes that haven't processed correctly.
You can check whether it actually running by issuing 'pgrep editmon' for a telnet or webshell command window and if it isn't running (no output from pgrep) restart it with the command
Code:
/mod/sbin/editmonitor &

MymsMan here are the messages in editmon.log for a film I tried to edit today.

I have tried using telnet with pgrep editmon, but I need a bit more guidance please.

I have tried to open a command line by using advanced settings, but it just takes me back to the telnet menu.

Attachments

• editMoniter.jpg
    editMoniter.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
  • telnet pgrep editmon.jpg
    telnet pgrep editmon.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Advanced settings? Where you see "Please select option", you are supposed to type something from the list - in this case "cli" gets you to a command prompt and then you can play to your hearts content. When you've finished, type "exit" to return to the menu (or just close the session).

Where you see "Please select option", you are supposed to type something from the list - in this case "cli" gets you to a command prompt

I typed in "cli" last night, but didn't notice it change anything. (I was half asleep though) Advanced settings: I'm sure I read that you can go straight to command prompt, using telnet, by changing advanced settings in Webif ? I have read so much recently, but must confess I am out of my depth here.

Thanks for the instructions Black Hole, can you tell me what the responses I got in telnet, and editmon.log mean please, providing I have input the information correctly ?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Telnet.jpg
    Telnet.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 9
  • editMoniter.jpg
    editMoniter.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 11
Advanced settings: I'm sure I read that you can go straight to command prompt, using telnet, by changing advanced settings in Webif ?
I think you can, but you don't need to - typing "cli" from the menu gets you to the command line just as effectively. The problem in post 9 was that you were typing commands meant for the command prompt at the menu input prompt.

WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Disable telnet menu? = YES

And you are not following instructions properly - you were told only to restart the editmon process if "pgrep editmon" returned no output (whether this had any damaging result is irrelevant - you need to be pedantic about accuracy when issuing system commands, which is why access to them is hidden away).

I don't like line 3 in the log - but I don't know what it means.

Unfortunately editmon overwrites its log file every time it restarts so we have no historical data to show what happened when it has failed previously :(
The log shows it working normally and doing what you asked it to do - make a copy of a recording, we now need the log from when its is misbehaving.

One of the functions supported is to grab a copy of the TSR (time shift buffer) the third line is checking for the existence of one of the tsr files, its absence isnt really a problem

The log shows it working normally and doing what you asked it to do - make a copy of a recording, we now need the log from when its is misbehaving.
That log was from when I asked it to copy a film, then cut the film using bookmarks. Does this mean it won't log a fault when it does not cut the file ? The file is still waiting in the cut folder.

Thank you for explaining what the third line meant. I will try other files and post the editmon log if it changes.

One of the functions supported is to grab a copy of the TSR (time shift buffer) the third line is checking for the existence of one of the tsr files, its absence isnt really a problem
It might not be a problem to the functionality, but I don't think it should be missing! The path seems malformed.

I think we need to establish a few basics:
  • Did you record xXx a year ago (2017 jan 19)?
  • How often do you reboot the Humax? When was the last time?
  • Do you remember moving xXx to the /[edit] /[make copy] folder? Approx when?
  • When was the last time you remember Magic Folders working?
I am puzzled why the only log file messages are for an ancient recording!

Yes I recorded xXx a year ago 2017 jan 19, and tried to edit it yesterday.
The Humax gets used daily, so was rebooted today.
I moved xXx to the /[edit] /[make copy] folder on Wed 07.
The last time I remember Magic Folders working was a couple of days ago, it cut a file after a few attempts

I have quite a few old recordings that I am trying to edit, and I prefer to edit these manually, as opposed to using detectads.

Last edited:
Have the messages in the editmon.log changed following the latest reboot?

Please check activity log to make sure that you do have 'System booted' lines for the times when you expect.
Code:
09/02/2018 07:53:13 - System booted (Remote control handset).
Or
09/02/2018 01:12:45 - System booted (Scheduled event).
Sometimes a system gets stuck in 'delinquent half awake state' where it refuses to shut down properly which would stop editmon being restarted
That log was from when I asked it to copy a film, then cut the film using bookmarks.
The 'Make copy' function only makes a copy of the recording - it doesn't also cut the film.
When you use the 'Cut' (or Join function) the original uncut file is moved to the Original folder whilst the cut file is stored in the Done folder - it is not necessary to use the Make copy to preserve the original.

Editmon.log is empty, activity.log is fine, it has 'System booted' at times I would expect, but boot.log has a long list of 'Waiting for humax to start' Could this be the problem ?

Yes I understand that 'Make copy' doesn't cut the film. I copy all recordings before attempting to cut them, since one disappeared, and was never found again.
I move the recordings to the 'Cut’ sub folder (Move files here with bookmarks marking cut points) to be cut.

Attachments

• Humax boot log.jpg
    Humax boot log.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back