No audio with HDR-FOX T2 & new TV

Ken P

My T2 runs cfw 3.13. Yesterday I bought a new TV, Panasonic TX-40HX800B, to replace a 15-year-old Panasonic. The system also includes a fairly recent Panasonic DVD player. So far I have been unable to get any audio when the T2 is playing. It still works with the old TV, so not aa intrinsic problem with the T2. The DVD player is fully functioning, there's no audio problem with that.

I have tried different HDMI sockets and different cables, but without success.

I suspect an incompatibility between the T2 and the new TV with differing tech standards.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Try different settings under Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output. In particular, if it is set to "Multi-channel" change it to "Stereo".

Thanks for the input. I have tried that, but no change. Have tried all the audio options on both Humax and the TV, to no avail.

Can't help then. TV ought to support all existing and previous standards for video and audio steams over HDMI, and I would be amazed if it didn't. There was a case recently where somebody's new smart TV wasn't playing audio, but then magically did after their Humax was connected to a different TV to prove the audio was working.

Not the same thing (my TV is old) but I find sometimes there is a delay in the audio coming back on when I switch back to the HDMI input the Humax HDR is connected to. Eg the picture will show but takes a few seconds for the audio to come back on. The only other thing I can think of - only have the Humax connected and disconnect everything else to narrow down the issue?

As OP suggests, there may be a terminal HDMI incompatibility between the HDR and the TV.

Previous such issues have blanked the video rather than the audio but similar solutions might apply.

Others have suggested, and possibly succeeded with, HDMI matrix switching boxes; as that is guesswork and OP has a new TV, it might be better to take it up with the vendor and/or Panasonic, who have been known to issue firmware updates.

The HDR may behave differently with a newer version of the loader, but again this is guesswork.

A previously successful solution, not likely to be possible in the present circumstances, was to take the HDR to the shop (so as to find an alternative TV that does play sound).

If the TV supports it, the HDR could be connected with an optical digital audio cable, using HDMI for video only.

If the TV supports it, the HDR could be connected with an analogue audio cable, using HDMI for video only.

Finally the TV may have some app that could be used to play content from the HDR: the HDMI connection would only be needed for the HDR's menu system.

Thank you all for your advice. After much further fiddling, I have found a solution.

One of the TV audio settings is HDMI mode1/mode 2, the latter being the default. Changing to Mode 1 has now produced audio.

Thanks again!!

My T2 runs cfw 3.13. Yesterday I bought a new TV, Panasonic TX-40HX800B, to replace a 15-year-old Panasonic. The system also includes a fairly recent Panasonic DVD player. So far I have been unable to get any audio when the T2 is playing. It still works with the old TV, so not aa intrinsic problem with the T2. The DVD player is fully functioning, there's no audio problem with that.

I have tried different HDMI sockets and different cables, but without success.

I suspect an incompatibility between the T2 and the new TV with differing tech standards.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?
I had a similar problem with a HdFox and a new smart TV. Found that the TV was set to HDMI 2.0 on by default. When it was set to off sound returned.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your advice. After much further fiddling, I have found a solution.

One of the TV audio settings is HDMI mode1/mode 2, the latter being the default. Changing to Mode 1 has now produced audio.

Thanks again!!
Just read this as well a see you cured it by my solution from previous reply

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Great news that the issue is resolved.
But this means that new TV with HDMI 2.x needs to have a specific setting to tell it when a source is not HDMI 2.x? (The default for the new TV will usually assume all sources are HDMI 2.x). That is odd. Why doesn't the auto negotiation work for maximum backward compatibility?
Also one that I'll need to note down for when I get a new TV.

Thanks again!!

Similar problem, different setting

My TV came up with a message whilst fiddling with some 4k source to switch hdmi to ultra deep colour. That resulted to no sound when the t2 was plugged into that hdmi. Switched the setting off, sound came back

Took delivery of new LG TV over the weekend. Connected the HDR Fox T2 this morning and great picture, but no sound. Was about to check all the settings, connections and cables (which woukd have been a bit of a pain as there is a lot of connected equipment in a Media Cabinet with the added complication of a new AVR at the heart of the setup) when I decided to search here first and it turns out I had the same "ultra deep colour" issue as reported by sine24. Turning that setting to "off" on the LG restored sound. Odd that what seems to be a picture setting affects sound. Anyway I'm grateful the info is here as I suspect it would otherwise have taken me some time to track it down.

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks as this has solved this problem for me with a new Humax HDR-Fox T2 that I bought this morning (£10 bargain from a charity shop).

In my TV (Samsung 2017) I fixed it by going into SETTINGS>GENERAL>EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER>HDMI UHD Color>Untick for the HDMI port I was using for the Fox and the volume came on.

I wouldn't have thought of that without this thread so thanks guys.

Haha, yes, I am very jammy and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. It looks like it had only just been donated as the was a recording from last week on it. There was no remote with it but it works fine with my universal remote

Suprisingly, the setting is HDMI UHD Color and not HDR (colour is spelt wrong as well). I agree that I don't see how that fixed the audio, but that was the only HDMI setting on the TV. I wouldn't have tried it had I not seen this thread, I would just have assumed it was faulty.

Back