no connection message Humax Freeview Play HD recorder Model FVP-5000T

Jayc

The recorder has been working fine since I received it as a Christmas gift from the family and set it up. I was watching a programme this morning - went out for a walk and now I can't get a connection. The tv is blank with the words 'no connection'. I have disconnected everything and plugged it in again - still no result. I have checked and restarted the modem and everything else (computers, mobile phones) is on line. I usually connect via wifi as the tv and recorder is too far from the modem to connect directly but I have borrowed a long ethernet connection and stretched it to reach- still the same result. I have plugged the TV aerial directly into the TV and that is working. I have looked at the handbook and it tells me to follow directions 'on the screen' but there is no screen. The box is not connecting to the tv and the tv just shows the words 'no connection'. I cannot get to see the box menu on the screen to do anything. I am a complete novice, over 75, usually my son would sort this out but he cannot visit during lockdown.

I don't think this is anything to do with your networking, I think the TV is complaining it doesn't have an HDMI input from the 5000T. Albeit a Freview Play, and regardless of the fact I don't have one myself, it is essentially a PVR and would not be complaining about the network unless you needed to do something which requires Internet access (eg catch-up).

What you need to do is find out why the TV thinks it is getting no HDMI (the signal from the 5000T).
  • Are you sure you are selecting the correct HDMI input on the TV's "source" or "input" button?

• Are you sure the 5000T is actually turned on, and there's an HDMI lead between the 5000T and the TV? (Sorry, but I'm being methodical)

• Try rebooting the 5000T - disconnect it from mains at the wall, then reconnect and turn on.

• Try a different HDMI input on the TV - maybe that input on the TV is broken.

• Try a different TV.
If nothing succeeds in getting any kind of video from the 5000T, you should conclude it's broken and see about getting it replaced.

Thank you for explaining this in a way I can understand. I will work through your suggestions and see if I can get connected.

Back