Dhodgson

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has came across this before:

My in-laws are ditching Sky and want to use a freesat box. I took round my Humax Freesat Recorder to show them what they could use. I wired it up, went through the install process....no signal. Connectors, Cables, antenna fine...no signal. I even plugged the Sky cables back into the Sky Q box and it says signal strength 90/60 and it has a perfect HD picture and can record on a separate channel. Even with one having a signal strength of 90, surely this would be enough for the Humax. I went over and over the installation process, the result was still the same. At home, only hours earlier we were watching the Humax box with no issues. Am I missing something?

Many thanks, Daniel Hodgson

My in-laws are ditching Sky and want to use a freesat box. I took round my Humax Freesat Recorder to show them what they could use. I wired it up, went through the install process....no signal. Connectors, Cables, antenna fine...no signal. I even plugged the Sky cables back into the Sky Q box and it says signal strength 90/60 and it has a perfect HD picture and can record on a separate channel. Even with one having a signal strength of 90, surely this would be enough for the Humax.
I am not an expert on this but I think the issue is that a Sky Q box uses a different type of LNB than is required by a Freesat box.

I wonder if anyone has came across this before:

My in-laws are ditching Sky and want to use a freesat box. I took round my Humax Freesat Recorder to show them what they could use. I wired it up, went through the install process....no signal. Connectors, Cables, antenna fine...no signal. I even plugged the Sky cables back into the Sky Q box
Sky Q uses wideband LNBs. The Humax freesat boxes all use non-wideband LNBs.

If the LNB is a hybrid and supports both then you may need to change the cable connections. If the LNB is neither wideband or hybrid the you would either need to change the LNB or not use the Humax,

The latest freesat boxes can cope with either wideband LNBs, hybrid LNBs or old LNBs , but only provide fully the advertised functionality with wideband and hybrid..

Martin and Luke, thanks for your speedy replies. Wow, I had no idea about this! They're getting on and won't want the hassle. I think I will purchase them a Humax Freeview with a plug antenna instead. Thanks again, much appreciated. Daniel.

Back