No sound on SD channels ?

mn283

Hi all, I recently purchased a new Pioneer HDMI capable av reciever. I initially connected the humax using HDMI only all was okay until I noticed I only got sound on HD channels ?In the meantime I have installed an optical cable and set the input on the amp as such.

I would rather the sound was via the HDMI cable, as the amp only has a single optical input which I wanted for the TV. Does the Humax not output all channels (sound) on HDMI ? I do have the sound level on the Humax at a minimum.

Any ideas ?

What do you mean you have the sound at a minimum? Try turning it up. Under some circumstances having the Humax sound configured to "Multichannel" rather than "Stereo" makes the HiDef volume independent of the volume setting, so it sounds like you have effectively muted the StDef sound output.

If that is not it (what happens if you use the TV to reproduce the sound rather than the amp?), you must worry about codecs.

What do you mean you have the sound at a minimum? Try turning it up. Under some circumstances having the Humax sound configured to "Multichannel" rather than "Stereo" makes the HiDef volume independent of the volume setting, so it sounds like you have effectively muted the StDef sound output.

If that is not it (what happens if you use the TV to reproduce the sound rather than the amp?), you must worry about codecs.

Aha ! Thanks Black Hole, that was indeed the issue. I did'nt realise that having multi channel audio output set caused HD channels to be independent of the volume seting. Quite nice now though as can set the SD volume to match the HD volume.

Many Thanks
Mark

Wow, thanks for that! You just cured something that has irked me for several years on my Foxsat and T2, ie, different volumes on SD and HD channels! I had volume set at max on both boxes.

Back