Not Humax related, but......

peterpi

I know this is not anything to do with the T2 or Humax, but this forum has members who are most likely to know the state of play with 21:9 5K TV. I know Philips were at the forefront and LG had a set at £120k, but the format seems to have been abandoned. Although, there seems to be some 21:9, made for TV content, out there.

Apologies for the non Humax T2 subject, but I don't want to go 4k if there is a 5k resurrection in the wind, and the subject might be of interest to other members.

I don't see the point, unless one is going to view 2.35:1 (I guess that's what you mean) almost exclusively or dedicate one TV for ultra widescreen and have another for normal widescreen 16:9. My reasoning is that having an ultra widescreen TV will produce all the annoying effects (when viewing 16:9 content - ie most) that 16:9 TVs have for old 4:3 content.

My reasoning is that having an ultra widescreen TV will produce all the annoying effects (when viewing 16:9 content - ie most) that 16:9 TVs have for old 4:3 content.
Couldn't agree more. I usually use an old 4:3 tv and have got used to the black borders top and bottom. I get a bit fed up with black borders all the way round - effectively converting a 14" screen to 10". If I watch on a widescreen tv, I get more than a bit narked finding black borders top and bottom for some tv series (not films). The Danish seem to be very good at producing tv in the wrong format. ITV has programmes with a very narrow black top and bottom border. (Can't say I'm too happy with the pillarboxing of 4:3 on 16:9 screen, but that can't be helped - don't like what they've done to The Persuaders, cropping the picture to fake a 16:9 film.) Shirley the broadcasters know the formats of the tvs? Either 16:9 or 4:3. Why don't they just produce the new stuff in 16:9? Or is this a conspiracy between the manufacturers and the broadcasters to get us to buy more new kit for the "new" format. Given that many broadcasters can't even get the format of 16:9 and 4:3 correct when transmitting*, what is it going to be like if they introduce a new format?

(* Avengers - many episodes seem wider than they should be. ST: Voyager - picture looks stretched vertically. Various other channels with 4:3 broadcast as 16:9 with black borders rather than 4:3 and the correct flag. Others failing to implement the AFD+ flag properly [BBC - although they might have corrected most StdDef channels] ... :mad:)
(+ Active Format Description NOT Alternative für Deutschland )

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. ....
.... hland )
I think you must have an odd setup, aside from watching so much old stuff which is of course problematic. We watch quite a lot of the Danish series (modern ones) and have never noticed them not fitting our 16:9 screen. A few films get letterboxed, but even that seems to be getting rarer.

Apologies for the non Humax T2 subject, but I don't want to go 4k if there is a 5k resurrection in the wind, and the subject might be of interest to other members.
This is the AOB section of the forum, so unrelated to anything at all is fine.
As to 21:9 ... I doubt it will catch. The logic I see is that increasing numbers of people are watching on mobile devices and making them that long and thin is probably not going to be popular.

increasing numbers of people are watching on mobile devices and making them that long and thin is probably not going to be popular.
Particularly not when said users of mobile devices don't seem to have the gumption to hold their mobile device in landscape!

ST: Voyager - picture looks stretched vertically.
On Horror you mean? I've noticed this, it was OK a couple of weeks ago and then went nearly square rather than 4:3 (within 16:9). I wondered whether they had cocked things up to the extent of pillarboxing the original and setting the 4:3 flag, but nothing I tried in terms of format setting made it look any better than leaving it alone.

Tuesday evening's episode was a corker: everything was fine (except the above noted) until the first ad break, and then the second segment had the right video but the audio for the first segment again! It came back (badly sync'ed) just before the second ad break.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had direct access to the scaler settings, so we could adjust the vertical and horizontal scaling coefficients arbitrarily and independently.

A range of interesting points of view.

Maybe I should be asking why new, made for TV productions are 21:9 or 2.31:1, when the 21:9, 5k TV format seems to have been abandoned. The pillar box or letterbox format doesn't bother me too much. I watch lots of pre 16:9 stuff and I expect I've got used to it. Seems like I may as well look for a good deal on a 4k TV for the time being.

I think you must have an odd setup, aside from watching so much old stuff which is of course problematic. We watch quite a lot of the Danish series (modern ones) and have never noticed them not fitting our 16:9 screen. A few films get letterboxed, but even that seems to be getting rarer.
I do have an odd setup (Mainly use Humax to scart input of 4:3 tv).
Borgen was not 16:9. It was displayed on BBC4 correctly on my tv, but should even have been letterboxed on your 16:9 screen. I have no idea what format it was in. IMDb says 2.20 : 1.
I think there were one or two more. I thought they were Danish, perhaps they weren't.

On Horror you mean? I've noticed this, it was OK a couple of weeks ago and then went nearly square rather than 4:3 (within 16:9). ...

Tuesday evening's episode was a corker: everything was fine (except the above noted) until the first ad break, and then the second segment had the right video but the audio for the first segment again! It came back (badly sync'ed) just before the second ad break.
Yes, that's the one.
The repeat showing had the same cock up.
Wednesday's also lost sync in the final part. I was beginning to think I was time travelling myself, as I kept seeing badly sync'ed audio on various channels (C4 and Grand Designs, BBC News). Maybe it's always like that and I suddenly lost the ability manage small differences due to watching Horror.

Borgen was not 16:9
Ah, SWMBO watched that but I didn't. I doubt she'll remember, even if she noticed, if it had black strips. (Our TV has a couple of inches black round the screen, so it's not always obvious when a bit of the picture is black.)

The start of The Good Wife on Netflix is often messed up, don't know what they have done but it looks as though we only get a bit of the picture for several minutes. Top left corner of a 4k video?

I agree with EEPhil, the 4:3 flag is often wrong, letterbox 4:3 on a 16 9 screen when the original was 16:9.

Letterbox within pillarbox. 16:9 but black all round
This is often (on our setup) what we get with the extras on DVDs. Just last night I watched a couple of episodes of a series on DVD, which displayed correctly, but when I went to view the deleted scenes (same disc, same session, just a different menu option) they displayed with a big black border all round. This happens on other quite unrelated DVDs as well, so I guess it's a 'thing'.

Back